Chapter 3- Duke Collins

Start from the beginning

"Not until evening," I answered, grabbing my scrubs.

"Are you sure, you can manage on your own?" He asked.

"What am I eight?" I rolled my eyes. "Go home, Josh. You Get some rest, you look horrible,"

"I know, I feel beat," He muttered. "See ya, tomorrow?"

"Yep," I smiled. "See ya!"

Josh gave me a lazy hug and then disappeared down the corridor. I put on my scrub and took one last sip of my decaf before starting my routine rounds.

"Morning doc!" Cindy smiled, carrying her clipboard as usual. She was my assistant and a trainee, always eager to learn. "Ready to meet your patients?"

"As I ever will be," I smiled. "Let's go,"

Seeing people getting better and to know that you have something to do with that was hands down the most gratifying feeling ever. Going around and meeting my patients was the best thing of my entire day. To see them smile, their eyes gleaming with hope...there was nothing that could be better than that.

"So we have two new patients today," Cindy stared at her clipboard. "Rebecca Sterling and Duke Collins,"

"Duke Collins?" I muttered. "Isn't he the guy who had those bullet wounds?"

"Yep, that's him," She nodded, frowning. "Yeah, he came around. Pretty fast for an average person with that sort of injury,"

"What?" I demanded. "Why are you making such a nasty face?It's a good thing, isn't it?"

"No, it is. But there's something suspicious about that guy," She answered. "Or so I felt when I went to check his vitals in the morning,"

"Suspicious as in?" I asked.

"Never mind. Let's go and check on him first," She answered. "He's in one of those ultra luxury rooms,"

"Suite," I answered. "It's called a suite,"

"Whatever," She rolled her eyes.

When I entered his suite, Duke Collins was sitting up staring at the flat screen. There was another guy with him and he stared at me speculatively as I entered.

"Hi, I am his doctor," I announced. "I need to a routine check-up so if you will wait outside?"

The guy eyed Duke and then me and then nodded, exiting the room without any word. I eyed the guy and realized that despite his condition he did look well recovered.

"Duke Collins, " I said, giving him a smile.

The guy in front of me had a sharp face, the type you see in Hugo Boss and Rolex advertisement in those glossy magazines. He appraised me with his sinister brown eyes and then nodded slightly.

"Are you sure, you're Duke Collins?" I joked.

"My mom's Italian," He replied looking amused and I realised he has a thick accent. Not a native, I was sure about that.

"Makes sense," I smiled. "So, Duke how are you feeling?"

"Good," He nodded.

"Well, given your injuries, I must say you have recovered well," I announced, eyeing his reports.

"You saved my life,didn't you?" He asked. "Dr...?"

"Scarlett. My name is Scarlett Williams," I answered. "Apparently, that is my job, Mr. Collins,"

"Thank you," He said.

"Your welcome," I smiled. "Pardon me, I don't mean to intervene Mr. Collins but why would someone do something like that to you?"