14. Josh Ray Person; Uncharacteristic

The sun had set, but with the layers you were in, you were still sweating. You were only ever warm or uncomfortably hot. There was no in between here. As if that wasn't enough, you were growing more tired with each passing day.

Growing up, your family had always pointed out that they could tell when you had gotten little sleep. Your typically upbeat personality did a full 180, and you were to be avoided if people wanted their feelings spared. Into your adulthood, especially after becoming a Marine, you had worked on this. Of course, these days you ran on less sleep than ever, so it was a constant effort to keep up your smile and focus.

Ray was on Day Whatever of his nonstop chatter, and you had been holding out pretty well. Normally, Ray's bullshit monologues and theories would not fail to make you laugh—or at least, keep you entertained in the monotonous periods of your mission.

But you could feel yourself growing more irritable.

"So what I'm saying is..." His voice trailed off as he glanced at you. "Y/N, I don't think you've been listening. I can't believe you aren't taking in my genius. You know what? I'll just-"

"Do you ever shut up?" you huffed. "Have you tried doing that, ever?"

"Were you-" He looked genuinely confused. "Were you just mean to me?"

"Ray, right now, nothing would make me happier than your silence."

He turned to Brad with a look of disbelief plastered across his face. "Can you believe that? Y/N, the only person I can consistently count on for moral support was just mean to me."

"Maybe they've come to their senses," Brad suggested. "Congratulations, Y/N. You've finally become a sane human being.

Rolling your eyes, you just shifted yourself to face away from them.

The nice part of your brain was faintly whispering in the back of your mind. It reminded you that what you had said was unnecessary, but you were too deep into your sulking by now.

Ray was uncharacteristically quiet for the first few hours. Not totally silent, but he maintained a low tone and was only loud enough for whomever he was speaking to hear him.

That made you feel even worse.

You took brief naps over the course of the next couple of days—mostly just your eyes closing momentarily before your head hit the vehicle window, waking you up again. However, you were still brewing in your previous exchange with Ray. You felt bad, but you weren't sure how to fix it. A large part of you was hoping (and knew) that Ray would do something.

You were right.

It had been a couple awkward days of you keeping to yourself, unsure of how to approach him, and finally, Ray caught you alone.

"There was this kid on debate team with me in high school that wouldn't talk for two whole weeks before a debate." He glanced at you before continuing. "I'm dead serious. He thought that he would lose his voice during a debate if he didn't let his voice rest, and that would make his argument less legit."

You were confused, to say the least, but the smile that sneaked onto your face was one of relief. "Two weeks?"

He nodded vigorously. "Two full fucking weeks. Not a damn word out of the kid."

"What did his friends think of that?"

"How the fuck would I know?" he shrugged. "They weren't my friends."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Well, I can't shut up for two weeks, but I'm tired of you being quiet. Can you please just be normal again?"

You cracked a goofy grin. "Aw, Ray, you said 'please.' You must have missed me."

"Maybe you're the one that needs to shut up," he joked. "And yeah. Who do you think I'm trying to make laugh out here? Brad?"

"No, I thought you were going for Trombley."

He blinked at you, not a smile to be seen. "That's not funny."

You got up, ready to rejoin everyone. "It's absolutely funny." Just to prove the point, you managed a little laugh.

His smile returned upon hearing it.

Suddenly the whole reason for this issue slapped you. "I'm sorry for snapping at you. It was really out of character for me. I'm just... I needed some fucking sleep."

"'Really out of character,'" he snorted. "You got that right, but it's not the worst thing anyone's said to me."

"Yeah, but it's the worst that I've said to you."

"I can't lie, Y/N," he said, his voice lowering. "It really hurt my feelings coming from you."

For a split second you felt awful before recognizing the teasing tone in his voice. "I'll ignore you for two whole fucking weeks if you don't stop."

"You couldn't ignore me if you tried."

You furrowed you're eyebrows, pretending to think. "Hmm... who was the one that missed talking to each other so bad they came up with some dumb story just to talk?" You gave him a pointed look. "Wasn't me."

"That story was absolutely true," he insisted. "I can't wait for Brad to be disappointed in you for liking me again."

"You make it seem like I have a crush on you."

He cocked an eyebrow. "Don't you?"

Digging your elbow into his side, you shoved him. "You wish."

Romance?? We don't know her. Also, I cannot picture a romance occurring out in the Kuwait/Iraqi desert. Anywho.... I'm just glad I finished this. M'kay.

~Mariah