3. John and Lena Basilone; Welcome to the End of Your Life

Based on "Welcome to the End of Your Life" by The Driver Era

19 February 1945; Iwo Jima

John's throat was burning. His ears were ringing. He might have even been going blind. He could make out the other Marines plunging further into the artillery fire. But everything was dull gray.

Then he wasn't running anymore. And suddenly he felt pain in every part of his body.

Dull gray softened... Never thought I'd see an actual white light.

At least he got say his goodbyes.

__________

August 1944; Camp Pendleton, CA

Lena knew what she had gotten into. That mess hall—the very one that had seen this love take form—would never see her cry, and despite the circumstances, neither would her husband.

John had a hand on her waist, and his voice was soft. "Maybe we should go ahead and decide on a couple names."

"Oh yeah?" Her chuckle didn't quite light up her eyes the way it should have. "Are you going to try and convince me that 'John Junior' should be our first son's name?"

"Of course not." He gave her that sideways grin of his. "But Lena Mae the Second has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

They discussed the future like it was a guarantee. The house they would share. Who their children would favor in looks. Where they would spend their holidays.

"I'll come back," he whispered, his face nearing the crook of her neck.

She nodded, like she believed him. "I know you will."

"Goodbye..."

__________

July 1944; Portland, OR

"I hope you like to dance." John held his hand out to his newly wedded wife.

They had gone to visit Lena's parents, and they were now the only ones awake.

"I can keep step, if that's what you mean," she responded, taking his hand and getting up. "But we have no music to follow."

He shook his head, pulling her into him. "We don't need music. Just follow my lead."

A soft smile graced her face as she briefly pressed a kiss onto his lips. "You got moves, Sergeant?"

"You know I do." He exhaled as her head settled onto his chest. They swayed in sync with a song that wasn't playing. "I just hope you like them."

"We wouldn't be here if I didn't."

__________

7 March 1945; Camp Pendleton, CA

Lena knew the words that would be on the telegram before she read them.

"Deeply regret to inform you...
...
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy."

Seven months. Seven months of marriage, and they had spent most of that time apart. Now they would spend it apart forever.

She let herself cry now. He should have been there to sing "Happy Birthday" to her. To dance with her.

She faced her reflection, seeing her puffy eyes and the red that had settled into her skin.

Now it's just me and a mirror.

__________

19 February 1945; Iwo Jima

How long had he been laying there? He had begged for this. Begged for another chance to fight with the boys. But what about his girl?

I think I'm leaving this body...

__________

10 July 1944; Oceanside, CA

She was like a dream.

He couldn't wipe the smile from his face.

It felt like running a red light. Someone should have stopped them... this felt dangerous...

But no one had told them they'd been caught. This intense love, the overwhelming happiness they were feeling felt illegal considering what was happening elsewhere in the world.

But neither of them cared.

When those rings were placed on their fingers, John and Lena knew they'd be buried in them.

I was in my John/Lena feels the other day and decided to make myself sadder. M'kay.

~Mariah