2. George Luz; Jokes On You

"Ah, the beauty queen herself!" George grandly announced. He leaned into you, smirking. "How's my future wife?"

"I'm not in the mood today," you sighed, refusing to meet his eyes.

You didn't see his smile drop, and you didn't feel it when his stomach dropped too.

He blinked. "Uhm..." he mumbled. There were very few times that he was at a loss for words, but right now, he wouldn't have even been able to tell you his name had you asked. "What's wrong?"

You shook your head. "I just don't feel like being teased today."

"Teased? You think I'm teasing you?" He almost laughed, but the expression on your face made him think better of it.

You looked at him incredulously. "Isn't that what you always do? You make jokes to get a reaction out of people. Constantly calling me things like 'beauty queen' and 'the love of your life' is just a joke to you because I'm neither. Am I not just the butt of your jokes?" You had never fully confronted this fear of yours, but if you were going to be upset, you might as well go all in.

He stared at you, eyes wide. He opened and closed his mouth, searching for the words that he needed. He took a deep breath. "Y/n, I call you beautiful because you are. I may joke a lot, but I don't lie."

"George-" you started.

"I made it a joke because I thought 'hey, if she likes me, she'll get it. If she doesn't, she'll just think I'm kidding.' I make it a joke because I didn't know how you'd react if I told you sincerely."

Already knowing the answer, you asked, "Tell me what?"

He cleared his throat. "Well, that I love you, darling," he said, imitating a cinematic voice.

You playfully hit his arm, but he could see the smile you were wearing.

"Okay, okay," he laughed. "I didn't realize you would think I was making fun of you. I really do like you a lot."

You rolled your eyes. "I like you too." You looked down at your shoes, suddenly aware of your close proximity. "I guess that's why I was so upset about it. I hated pining after you when I thought you saw me as a punchline."

"Aw, baby," he cooed, lifting your face up with a finger under your chin. His smile softened at the sight of your eyes. "If you're the butt of my jokes, it's 'cause you're a fine piece of ass." He winked just before you assailed him again. "What? What? Are you gonna tell me I'm wrong?"

"Oh, shut up," you sighed. Without another thought, you quickly swooped in and pecked him on the cheek.

His hand went to the spot your lips had momentarily occupied. A mischievous grin grew on his briefly surprised face, and he decided to make his own move. In one swift motion, he pulled you into him by your waist and kissed you. A full, proper kiss. The kind he had been wanting to give you for so, so long.

Pulling away for air, a smirk settled on his lips. "You pined after me?"

Once again, self-indulgent. I'm just here to make myself feel things. M'kay.

~Mariah