34. Josh Ray Person; Better Off As Lovers

"Don't expect me to send you any heartfelt letters about how much I miss you," Ray teased.

"Why because you won't miss me or because you think it's dumb to write letters?"

"Both."

You punched his shoulder, knowing at least one of those wasn't true. "Please. If anything, I won't be missing you. I'll finally be able to lead a peaceful life. I mean, I'm still banned from half the grocery stores in the county—because of you, I might add—"

"Technicality," he interrupted. "You're still banned. Doesn't matter if I had anything to do with it."

"Whatever." You rolled your eyes, and you both laughed, but your chest was growing a little tight. You weren't going to say it out loud though. "Take care of yourself. I have no doubt they'll kick your ass in boot camp."

"Don't worry about my ass, Y/N." Ray was grinning now. "Although," he craned his neck around to try and peek at his backside, "I can see why you would."

You had never wanted to kiss Josh Ray Person before in your life, and you'd known him for most of it. But right now, with the thought of him being gone, a small part of you wished it would happen. A bigger, much more reasonable part reminded you why that would be a very bad idea.

"Hey," he said, his voice softening slightly at your change in expression. "No sad goodbyes, remember?"

You blinked away any sadness forming in your eyes and threw him a dumb, cheesy smile. "Do I have to spell it out for you, Ray? I'm not sad."

"Oh okay." He pulled you in for a hug, and you welcomed the embrace. "Well, if you ever do get sad and miss me, I left a copy of the band's demo in your car for you."

_____four years later_____

Ray kept himself awake with caffeine and thoughts of being home.

Both amusing and grating to everyone else, when it came to Ray, with thinking came talking. "And my best friend, Y/N—don't worry, Brad, I still love you—decided to ride around the grocery store in a cart, paddling along with a broom. We weren't allowed to even be in the Save-A-Lot parking lot for two years."

He knew if you had been there you would have corrected him. It hadn't been your idea. He dared you, and you could never turn down a dare. That was one of the foundations of your friendship.

"So... Y/N is the one you're dating right?" Trombley questioned from the back.

Ray resisted the urge to throw a confused look at the kid. However, he had to keep his eyes somewhat focused on the road ahead. "What? No. Y/N's been my best friend forever."

"Oh. Well, you talk about Y/N more than your girlfriend," Trombley noted.

"What? That's not true," Ray scoffed. "Brad, tell them that's not true."

"Person, I can't even remember your girlfriend's name, but I'm quite certain I met Y/N."

"What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? I just have more stories with Y/N because I've known them longer." Ray huffed a few things to himself about how ridiculous this was and how you two were basically siblings.

"It would make complete sense for you to be dating someone that was related to you," Brad slyly added in response to Ray's mumbling.

"Now you're just being obscene. We're not related, and besides, I'm not from that kind of town."

"Ray, you come from a whiskey tango hick town where couples meet at family reunions, and you're living proof." Brad blinked maybe twice while delivering this blow. "Now tell us more about the person you're not dating."
__________

You happened to be outside your own parent's home when a car stopped at the curb. You squinted, trying to see who was inside.

"Ray? That you?" you called as he rounded in front of the car to where you stood in the yard.

"The one and only."

"Well, I'll be damned. How long you been home?" You made your way to him and greeted him with a hug. Even after only brief visits over the last few years, he was still your best friend.

"Just got back today. I stopped by my parents' first and figured I'd find you somewhere."

"And you found me. How are you?" You knew that whatever his answer was, it would only be a partial truth.

"Not bad. Happier now that I've can shit in a familiar toilet."

You laughed, knowing he'd prefer that over whatever concerns you had for him. "So—"

"I love you," he interrupted.

Whatever you had been about to say had dissipated from your thoughts like vapor. "I... I love you too." You frowned, realizing this was a strange moment.

That was always an unspoken truth between you two. Neither of you had ever needed to say it.

A wide grin spread across his face. And maybe... relief? "Thank God. I thought you were going to punch me."

"I may still," you warned, though your smile called you a liar.

"Well, while you decide on that, do you want to come over for dinner tonight?"

"Did you ask me out on a date?"

"I mean, it'll be at my parents' house, and my family will be there." Ray was rarely flustered but appeared to be a little pink in the cheeks now. "But we can do something alone after."

"That sounds nice."

"Any time with you is a nice time," he beamed.

You groaned and squeezed his shoulder, falling back into your comfortable back and forth. "Don't go corny on me, Ray. Tell me I'm stupid or something."

"You're stupid cute."

Internally wincing, you weren't sure if the cringing truly outweighed how endearing it was to hear him do anything other than jokingly tease you. "What time do I need to be there?"

"Be ready by 5. I'll pick you up."

"Classy."

"You sound surprised."

"Ray, you never fail to surprise me."

Talk abt being back from the dead. Do I have requests waiting to be tended to? Yes. But I wanted to practice a little on my own before I tackled them. Especially since I've been rlly needing GK content and I have negative requests for it.