Chapter 14: Getting to Know Each Other

Somehow, after my dad told me the whole story, my anger towards him started to fade away to almost nothing. Of course, it didn't fade away instantly as I still felt the anger for a few minutes after, but somehow my heart began to soften and knew just by looking into his eyes that he was telling me the truth. But more than being able to tell that he was being truthful, I could see the affection in them.

His eyes were filled with kindness and warmth.

My dad was currently giving a speech with the rest of the endurance riders, trying to motivate them for the new season and trying to get them hyped for what was to come. I'd heard of F3 but never in my life did I ever imagine I'd be standing in these stables.

I looked at him as he gave his speech, wearing a suit and tie and being all outgoing and extraverted.

We were total opposites when it came to our personalities. He was more extraverted while I was more of an introvert. I tended to be extraverted only with my friends and family, but elsewhere I was quieter and less social. Simply put, I was not a social butterfly going from flower to flower.

I had a feeling that these differences in our personalities were going to make this a rather interesting father-son relationship between us. Then there was the extreme sports and adventures he took regularly.

"So this season is going to be our season for sure! Keep up the good work and training hard! I know you won't disappoint me!" said my dad.

After, everyone gave a round of applause and I had no choice but to join in. I stepped out of the large tent and walked around the stables. I had a feeling my dad was going to be too busy to spend time with me. That was probably going to be another problem, the spending time together part since he was not only an endurance champ, but he was also the crown prince of Dubai. He had a life whereas I had no life. I knew I wanted to be an endurance rider and I had quite the experience when it came to riding horses, but I was not seasoned in endurance.

Then it suddenly hit me that I did not fit in this world. I was an outsider, or as the Japanese would call a non-Japanese living in Japan – Gaijin. So in a way, I was a Gaijin here.

I walked through the stables and looked at some of the horses. I felt at peace here, since I loved horses and animals in general. Though Cats and Dogs were my favorite pets and right now I was beginning to wonder what Oreo was doing.

"Faisal?"

"Futtaim?"

"Hey, what are you doing here all alone? Why aren't you over there with the rest of the crowd?"

"Nothing, I just needed to take a walk. Figured I'd look at the horses and relax."

"Sounds like you have something on your mind."

"A lot is on my mind. But I'm ok."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"It's nothing. It's stupid. But really, I'm fine."

"Nothing that's on your mind can be stupid. Come on, try me. I am your auntie after all."

"I'm good, don't worry."

"I know something's up. Come on, I won't take No for an answer" she kept smiling. "Come on, talk to me."

"Ok. I don't know if I will ever fit in this world. I grew up as a commoner, doing things for myself, doing my own laundry, cooking my own meals from time to time whenever my mom was pulling all-nighters at work and it was just me and my sister. Going out with my friends and hanging out with them freely. You know."