four ; magic always comes with a price

not edited

Emma's POV

"Hook!" Emma screamed. Without thinking, she jumped straight for Hook and looked around to find his body. Once she found him, she wrapped her arm around his waist and struggled to swim back up to the air.

After breaking through the water's surface, she wondered how she was going to get both of them to the docks without either of them sinking back down. Hook weighed down on her arm, causing her to fight harder to stay above the water. 

She panicked as her eyes searched for a way out of the water. A rope, a boat, anything to get them out. Even mag-

Emma's eyes widened. She could use magic to get them out of the water. But what would be the price? 

She looked down at Hook's face and her heart skipped a beat. He looked so peaceful, almost like a child sleeping. She prayed that his memory hadn't gone worse. But, since magic caused his memory loss, would more magic do worse to him?

Emma closed her eyes as her head slowly sunk down. She had to risk it. She would rather Killian not to remember a single thing than to lose him forever.

She thought back to what Mr. Gold had told her when he was slowly dying. "Conjuring magic is not... intellectual endeavor. It's emotion." He had been gritting his teeth and his eyes shone as he looked up at her, "You must ask yourself 'Why am I doing this? Who am I protecting?' Feel it.

She had been unsure if she was actually able to do the small task. Nevertheless, she had done it and succeeded until Cora and Regina had come. She was uneducated about magic back then but now she knew. And she can use that knowledge to raise her and Killian back to the docks.

"You must ask yourself 'Why am I doing this? Who am I protecting?' Feel it." Mr. Gold's voice echoed in her mind.

Killian, She thought, I have to save Killian. I don't care if he's now back to the person he was, I need him. I can change him back, I can get his memories back. I want to see his oceanic blue eyes again, I want to comb my hand through his dark hair. I want to feel his lips against mine again. I need to feel his love. But, if he's leave, he'll take the best parts of me away with him. I need him stay with me, to stay alive. I love h-

Emma's eyes flew open as she found her and Killian float in the air. Slowly, the wind brought them closer to the docks until they were right above it. Emma grunted as they were dropped on the wood of the docks.

She let out a laugh of relief. "Killian," She breathed, "Killian, wake up! We're out of the water." She looked down at him and frowned, "Killian?"

His expression went from childish and peaceful to serious and cold. Emma quickly held his nose as she did mouth to mouth with him. She pumped his chest and watched as he coughed out water. After looking around confusedly, he finally found her eyes. Emma saw something flicker in his eyes once he saw her. 

"Swan." He breathed. He quickly sat up and wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed her body against his. "Swan..." He mumbled into her ear, "My love. This... this is temporary."

She pulled away and scowled, "What?"

"My memory." He gave her a weak smile, "It's back but I can feel it fading."

"No... No." She shook her head as she cupped his cheeks. But, she knew he was right since his expression was slowly becoming puzzled. It's now or never, She thought. 

Emma pulled his face closer to hers and crushed their lips against each other. But it was too late. The old Hook was back and he quickly pulled away. He looked into her eyes and she could see his confusion and coldness before he collapsed into her arms.