Chapter 1: The Wild

Start from the beginning

An old woman watched me from a few feet away. She stared at me, crouching before a pile of garbage and pleading for my soul. To mundane eyes I must've appeared insane. I stood and smoothed the fresh wrinkles in my slacks. I nodded in her direction. She scoffed and walked away.

The night was still young, and I was already making friends.

I suddenly wanted the security of sturdy doors and reinforced walls between me and the evening gloom. I continued up the street with far more purpose. My destination was the first building, an old dive bar and lycanthrope hangout known as The Wild. The hair on my arms stood on end as I paused outside. It felt like the place was packed and the tension inside was high. With shapeshifters tension tended to lead to bloodshed... I wasn't in the mood for that kind of party.

Shaking my head, I ran my fingers through my woolly afro. I pulled out my phone and called him. Again no answer, but this time the call went straight to voicemail. I swiped left and checked my notepad app. This was the right address. I shouldn't have been surprised. If you want to hide, it's always best to hide among your people.

With no other choice, I knocked and the door burst open. I jumped back and took a step to the right. Grabbing for my primary blade, I became acutely aware I wasn't properly armed. No one wrestled shapeshifters with just a knife. Filling the doorway was a beast of a man, six and a half feet of muscle with broad shoulders brushing the doorframe. His hair was cut close, his brow hard, his jaw strong. He glared down at me, relying on his size to intimidate. It worked. I was intimidated, but I was also not going anywhere.

"Your kind aren't welcomed here. Move along before you get hurt." His voice was calm, emotionless, and I got the feeling he could give me directions or grind my bones to powder with an equal lack of concern.

"I'm looking for someone."

"Not that kind of bar."

"Shame, clearly you could use a little cheering up."

He growled and stepped into the night. I took another cautionary step back. I knew I couldn't match him in strength, so distance might mean the difference if we came to blows.

"The Wild doesn't cater to bloodsuckers, go away before I break your face."

"What's your name, big man?"

"Rock."

"I'm sure you hear jokes about you and a hard place all the time, so I'll let it go."

His cheeks didn't even twitch, he probably wasn't a laugher.

"Look. I'm off duty and I'm looking for a friend. Let me see if he's here and I'll be on my way."

He growled even louder and I caught a sense of his inner-beast. It was something large, perhaps a bear. He opened his mouth and I cut him off with a raised hand.

"If you make me call HQ for back up, they'll send guys who won't be polite." I rolled up my sleeve, revealing the tattoo on my forearm. It was just as good as flashing my badge. "I'm not here for any trouble, but I can be a real pain in the neck." I smiled, making sure he saw my fangs.

I watched his beast recoil, a shifting in his pupils, as if they were a window to a wild place where the monster prowled. He hesitated, his pride warring with common sense. He sized me up, wondering whether he could take me before I could call for backup, wondering if it would be worth his head. I stood my ground and let doubt eat away at him. Finally Rock looked at the ground, defeated by the fear of my authority.

"I'm sorry, sir."

"I told you, I'm off duty." I patted him on the shoulder and went inside before he had a chance to change his mind. There was no way I could dial HQ before he broke my arms.