03: Out of love not spite

a.n:

apologies for this being a day late, I've got a lot on and this one is SUPER long - I didn't intend for any of this other than the cat part, but here we are.

-----------------------------------

in this part...

Nicole is very excited about getting a cat...
An exorcism of a baseball pavilion goes wrong but not in the way you would expect...
A normal Monday takes a dramatic turn...

-----------------------------------

Nicole spooned her cereal before dropping it back down with a slight plop sound. The motion repeated five times before Waverly finally put down her own spoon and looked up from the paper on the kitchen table, squinting her eyes at Nicole.

Before she could ask though, Nicole's head popped up just as the song on the radio changed to something which Waverly didn't recognise.

"So can we get a cat?" She asked hopefully and Waverly's eyes widened.

"What?"

Dropping her shoulders, Nicole shrugged. "You told me to ask when you were awake."

"Yeah, but I thought you were joking." Waverly laughed softly as she stood up to change the station to something more modern. Usually, she knew Nicole would protest, but she took the opportunity whilst the redhead was distracted and wanted something.

"Why would I be joking?" Nicole winced a little when One Direction came on, but softened when it changed quickly to James Bay.

"I don't know, it just came out of nowhere." Sitting back down, Waverly closed the paper and took another spoonful of cereal, smiling across at Nicole.

"Well can we?" The insistence of her girlfriend made Waverly chuckle slightly and she shook her head smiling.

Casually, Waverly pretended to read the front page of the paper, keeping her eyes trained on that as she answered with a smile. "I don't know, how about I call Chrissy and see if we can go over to the shelter tonight after work?"

"Really?!" Nicole hadn't expected her girlfriend to give in so easily and she almost fell off her chair in excitement. Truth was, Waverly had known for months Nicole had wanted a cat. The redhead was always showing her pictures of kittens or 'cats in hats' which she'd found on Tumblr, so Waverly had already taken it upon herself to figure out if it was logistically possible for them to get a cat in case Nicole ever worked up the nerve to ask her.

"This isn't me saying yes though, it's me saying we will see." She raised her brow and tilted her head, waiting for confirmation.

"Yeah, I know, that's okay. Its great actually! You're the best!" Finally Nicole practically slurped her cereal down before leaping up from the chair to put her bowl in the sink.

"It's not a yes Nicole!" Waverly called after her, shaking her head and continuing to eat her own cereal at a much more normal and acceptable pace.

"I hate this station." Nicole grumbled as she walked back from the counter to the table. Waverly let out a hearty laugh at the mere seconds it had taken for Nicole to go from letting her do whatever she wanted, to criticising her music taste.

"I know but you're going to get dressed anyway." She grinned, sipping her coffee triumphantly.

"Are you coming?" Nicole smirked wrapping her arms around Waverly's shoulders from behind and kissing the side of her head.

Waverly looked up from her chair, smirking back. "Are you offering?" She grinned and Nicole almost choked on the air around her.

"Wavesssss." She pressed her face into the small girl's neck. "Why do you always do this before work?"