"Good. Now, these rankings are not public. They are decided by observation on my part, as well as by some others. This limits the kind of missions you can do. It's not really told to you, rather Mira discourages you from doing it." Laxus interjected, "And when Mira discourages you from doing something, you listen."

"That's right. Now, this mostly refers to solo missions. On a team mission, you can tag along regardless of your class if your companion is of a higher class."

"So why does it affect me? I've always gone on missions with Natsu, Erza or Gray. And Happy", she added as an afterthought.

"Ah, yes. I'm coming to that. You see, you can tag along unless one of your companions complains that you are a liability, in which case you will be examined. Your performance shall decide your Class from E to A. Failing would mean that you are banned from missions. Failing would also have us question your position in the guild. Unless you are at least a B Rank, no S Class quests, even with Natsu." Makarov looked pained to say this.

"Wait...if I fail, I would be thrown out of the guild?"

"Not exactly. But failing, coupled with the fact that you have never used your magic since coming to the guild, would be a very solid argument for some people to do so."

Lucy had been afraid that Natsu would consider her a liability. She had known in the back of her mind that this was going to happen, but the hurt was still there. Before she could cry, however, she heard a huge roar come from the guild hall.

Laxus's eyes widened comically as he and Makarov shot out of their seats and ran to the hall. Lucy ran after them.

Reaching the door, Lucy saw Laxus about to open it when the wall beside the door broke apart, causing the door to fall. On the other side of the door was a half-naked, half-dead ice mage.

Natsu had come into the guild thinking about Lucy's reaction to him taking her blood. He grew distressed when he could smell Lucy but could not get sight of her. One glare of his was enough for Mirajane to spill everything; how Erza and Gray had said that Lucy was a liability to save her from going on missions with him.

Needless to say, it wasn't a good time to be Erza or Gray.

He had chuckled when he saw Gray try to put up a brave front. Then, remembering past events, his amusement turned to rage again. He grabbed Gray by the collar. "How dare you! You bastard! Do you know what she has been through? Why?!"

"I was protecting her! You are dangerous and violent; a monster! She's not. Erza and I just told the Master she was a liability so she wouldn't go on a mission with you!"

Monster. Liability. Monster. Liability. These words circled through his mind again and again.

"Igneel, Sangy, can I hunt with you guys?". "No, Natsu. You would just be a liability there. What would we do if you died?"

-oooooooo-

The white-haired girl clutched at his arm. "You know Natsu, back in the place I lived in, I was considered a monster. But then...here, in this guild we aren't monsters. People like you are strong, and people like me are a liability."

"No you're not! You're really strong! Not as strong as me, but then nobody is!"

-oooooooo-

"Of course I'll stay with you. You'll be OK, Lisanna!"

The frail girl beside him gave a weak smile. "Guess I am a liability after all...ne, Natsu?"

"No!", cried the dragon slayer as for the first time in years teardrops fell from his face onto the girl he was hugging.

"Do you realize what you have done? Right now, she is in that room, questioning whether she is worth anything, because of YOU!" His statement turned into a shout as he violently threw Gray across the room onto a wall which crumbled to pieces.

He vaguely noticed the Master and Laxus as he turned to Erza. "And you. Every other day you ask me for a fight. Beg me for one, even. I've never injured you, and you get pissed because I hold back. If you want an injury that bad...". Natsu's hand started glowing with fire, which frightened everybody there. During a fight, Natsu didn't use fire. He used blood. The only time they had seen this happen was when Natsu was really, really mad.

His whole body started glowing, and with a roar, flames exploded around him. He took long, sure strides towards Erza, who was trembling involuntarily.

Lucy's eyes widened at the sight in front of her. She ran at Natsu to stop him. She either didn't notice the flames or she didn't care. She ran straight into them.

Feeling something (or someone) behind him, Natsu turned back to see Lucy. His eyes widened in shock and the flames vanished. "Lucy!" He shouted, while running at her as she fell to the ground.

If you like this chapter, please Vote, Comment and Follow.