Chapter 3

My last period economics class had to be the most interesting of the day. I was in a class with Tristan, Danielle, Alexandra, and Cameron. Tristan, Danielle and I sat towards the back corner of the room, and Cameron sat next to Danielle. On the other side of Cameron was Alexandra. And when I tell you the tensions in the room were always high, I mean thanksgiving-with-your-racist-uncle-during-BLM-movement high. Someone was going to drink too much wine and start a fight. I think in this scenario, it is clear that Alexandra was the racist uncle.

Alexandra was relentless. She was always trying to talk to Cameron, and twirling her platinum blonde hair and batting her fake eyelashes. It was pathetic to watch. And that girl was ballsy as fuck to do it right in front of Danielle who was literally sitting on the other side of Cameron.

"Cam, did you get a haircut?" Alexandra's nasally voice cut through the light chatter.

"Yeah, I did a few days ago." Cameron said.

"Oh, it looks good." Alexandra then proceeded to reach out and run her fingers through his hair. My jaw dropped. I cast a look to Tristan who was sitting behind me, and his eyes were wide in disbelief.

"Alexandra, can you please get your disgusting man hands out of my boyfriend's hair? Thank you." Danielle snapped.

"Relax, Dani. Cam doesn't mind, right Cam?" Alexandra said in a fake nice voice.

"Um..." Cameron looked nervously back and forth between Danielle and Alexandra. Danielle gave Cameron a death glare. "Yeah, maybe you shouldn't do that." He didn't sound so sure.

Danielle glared at him. "Really, Cameron? Maybe she shouldn't?"

"Bro what the fuck is happening right now." Tristan muttered to me. I nodded in agreement.

"I..." Cameron seemed to be at a loss for words.

"Let's go. Now." Danielle grabbed Cameron by the collar of his shirt and stormed out of the classroom. A few kids turned their head in interest, but most of them ignored the situation. I guess this kind of thing is normal around here.

"Geez, someone needs to pop a xanax and get over herself, am I right?" Alexandra laughed to her friend in front of her. The girl nodded in agreement.

"This is disgusting." I said to Tristan.

"Yeah, that's just what Alexandra's like. Don't get involved, that's what she wants you to do." He said.

"But I can't just let her say that about Dani. That's so fucked up." I said. God, I only just met this bitch a few days ago and I already want to see her get hit by a semi.

"Come on, Sky. Don't give her what she wants." Tristan looked into my eyes pleadingly, begging me not to make a scene. I bit my lip hard and clenched every muscle in my body, and then released. He's right. Relax. Don't do it.

"Are you good?" He asked me.

"Yeah, yeah I'm good." I couldn't meet his eyes.

Just then, Danielle and Cameron came back inside the room. Danielle looked furious, and Camron looked like a little kid who had just been scolded by his mother. I didn't have time to ask what happened, because moments later, class started.

The school day was finally over, and I had just arrived at the rink nearby campus where we were practicing. Today was my first practice officially on the team, and I had no idea how it would go.

I slung my hockey bag over my shoulder and grabbed my stick. When I got into the rink, I checked the white board that had the locker room assignments on it. The sign said: