Chapter 16 : Ally

AN: Sorry for not updating in like forever. It's getting to the good part now, I promise.

Oh, you stupid moon and you stupid sun. Why must you two cross?

I sat on a rock by the side of the clearing in the forest watching the vampires and werewolves training and practicing for the unnecessary upcoming battle tomorrow. They're jumping and prancing on each other all over the place. I keep telling them the truth and they keep not believing me. They are a pack of stubborn mules, I tell you. So I just gave up and stayed silent altogether.

Garret was up front showing the werewolves the perfect techniques of fighting a sorcerer. Something about a side kick attack...I didn't wan't to know. Penelope was mediating on the other side of the clearing, straining to get even the slightest of a glimpse of the future. She admits that she hasn't had a vision since this strange disease and she wonders why, when I'm right over here shouting the answer at her repeatedly. Ethan, Clarence, Janice, Megan, and Lindsey were wrestling/practicing with each other, making it apparent that they think I'm completely brainwashed too. Some friends they are.

"I believe you, Noelle."

I snap out of my reverie and looked up to see Benjy standing beside me. I made a motion for him to sit down.

"I mean, I understand their reasoning behind thinking you are brainwashed," he said, "but I'm different from them. Sure, a lot of them have loved ones who are victims of this disease, but I lost Amy. We've been together through everything. I love her more than life itself. The mere thought that she might actually…die…"

I place an arm around his shoulders and nodded for him to go on.

"None of them, none of them…are suffering like me." I don't think I've ever seen Benjy so hopelessly heartbroken. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so miserable. "Which is why I don't want a battle. I don't care if those magical ones get killed as payback. If we attack, we're assuming the sick won't make it. A life for a life? I don't want those sorcerer's lives for Amy's. I just want Amy to be okay."

The truth in Benjy's words couldn't have been clearer. Too bad no one else had the sense to listen.

"So if you say you know a cure, I believe you," he told me. "I'm on your side. If there is anything I can do to help…"

"Pete and Sarah have flown off to get the ingredients for the potion," I explained. "What Jonah and you and I have to do is make sure they don't get killed before they distribute the potion."

He nodded sincerely and smiled weakly. I gave him a hug and whispered, "It's going to be okay."

But is it?

Even with Benjy on our side, that still only makes three of us. Three of us against the whole lot of them.

The hours were quickly ticking away until the big moment tomorrow when all would go wrong.

We needed a plan. We needed a team meeting.

It was difficult to convince Garret and Lindsey into letting me go "to the movies" with Benjy. They were still worried about my state of brainwashedness and were unsure if Benjy was up to looking after me. Then it got more complicated when Ethan and Megan walked in on our conversation. Those two were highly suspicious of my new close bond with Benjy. And somehow, Clarence appeared too. He flipped when he found out what's going on.

"No Clarence, I am not having a secret affair with Benjy!" I stated the obvious.

Clarence and Ethan seemed to calm down after I said that. But Megan and Lindsey were still giving me the doubtful eye.