And here I thought this time of year was about family and togetherness.

 She stretched out on the bed and turned to the other side. He was gone; the spot where he had slept was cool, which meant he had let himself out early. She had mixed feelings about that. On one hand, she was relieved that he had saved her the awkwardness of asking him to leave, on the other – strange as seemed – she didn't exactly enjoy waking up alone after a night of frolicking. The woman outside screamed something dismissive and the sound of a door being slammed followed. She heard heavy footfalls going down the corridor, likely the man leaving to cool off. She smiled, despite herself. She didn't enjoy the noise or drama, but hearing couples argue always reminded her of why she decided to avoid romance and all its...excesses.

Her doorbell chimed and she groaned in annoyance. She pulled herself out of bed, pulled on an oversized t-shirt as she went to answer it.

"Hello?"
"Paula, it's me. Hannah. Buzz me in."

She frowned, but pushed the button anyway, confused at why her sister would be visiting – and so early too. They hadn't really spoken in over a year and usually preferred to keep their distance. She trudged to the door and waited, unlocking it when she heard footsteps approaching. At the first knock, she swung the door open. Hannah jerked back in surprise, and then smiled awkwardly. Paula took in her sister's appearance, noting how her usually clear porcelain skin now looked sallow and her eyes were slightly puffy. She was dressed casually – almost carelessly – in a large gray t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, a rather large leather bag hanging from her shoulder. Her dark hair was held up in a ponytail and she looked like she had tried to put some makeup on but quit halfway.

"Hi..."
"Hi."
"May I come in?"

Paula stepped aside to let her through, before closing and locking the door behind her. She kept her eyes on her sister as she walked slowly towards the kitchenette and filled the kettle with water. Hannah was looking around the apartment, no doubt going to comment about the decorations – or lack thereof. Paula was never really into the festivities. She had barely even taken down some of the plastic pumpkin ornaments she hung for Halloween.

"Tea?"
Hannah spun around. "What?"
"I'm making tea. You want?"
"Yeah. Black, please. Thanks."

Paula placed the electric kettle on its stand and flicked the switch. She looked back at her sister, who was staring at her with a faraway look before she blinked and seemed to refocus on her surroundings. Paula sighed. There obviously was a lot on her mind.

"So...what brings you here?"
"I wanted to invite you over for Christmas," Hannah replied, looking away uncertainly.
"Okay..."
"It's been long, and you never visit. Violet also really wants to see you."

Paula smiled faintly at that. Her niece was a spirited young girl with more energy than was legally permissible for someone of her age. Paula tried to remember how old the girl was supposed to be. Twelve? Fourteen, maybe? Her smile faded when she noticed that Hannah's eyes had become glassy, like she was about to cry.

"That's not all, is it?"
"Hmm?"
"What happened?"
"Who said anything happened?"
"You showing up here at eight in the morning on a weekday looking like shit to invite me for Christmas dinner doesn't say 'jolly good time.' So spit it out."

The kettle bubbled and snapped off, the only sound filling in the silence. Hannah seemed to have gone paler, if that was somehow possible. Paula plopped two Earl Grey teabags in large mugs and poured in the hot water, still waiting for her to speak up. Hannah swallowed and looked away.

"We're getting divorced."
"Why?"
"He's been cheating on me."
"So?"
"What do you mean 'so'?"
"Men cheat, Hannah. Big whoop. Go for marriage counselling or whatever couples are supposed to do for things like this."
"It's not just that he's cheating. It's how he's cheating. I found out when I saw him signing child support checks. He's been with her for over a year, Paula. They have a bloody kid together. That kind of infidelity isn't something you try to play down."