Friends Divided & Verdict Decided

Start from the beginning

They looked strangely impressive, silhouetted against the flames. Krum, hunched-up and brooding, was leaning against the mantelpiece, slightly apart from the other champion. Fleur Delacour looked around when Charlie walked in and threw back her strands of long, silvery hair; she thought the young boy had come to deliver a message.

"What is it?" she said. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

"Uh, no," Charlie said, still trying to process, "I'm, uh" — he paused for a moment, contemplating on whether or not to allow the words to come from his mouth — "the Hogwarts champion..."

Viktor Krum straightened up. His surly face darkened as he surveyed Charlie.

Fleur Delacour, however, tossed her hair, smiling, and said, "Oh, vairy funny joke, Meester."

"I'm not —"

Suddenly, the door behind Charlie had opened. The brown eyed boy turned instantly, but out of all things to expect, Harry Potter looking back at him was not one of them.

"Harry, mate," Charlie had ran over to him, "You've got to tell them that I didn't do it! I didn't put my name into the Goblet of Fire! Tell them that they've made a mistake! I don't want to do this! Tell them I don't —"

Harry didn't know how to explain what had just happened. He just stood there, looking at the three champions; it struck him how very tall all of them were compared to him.

There was a sound of scurrying feet behind Harry, and Ludo Bagman entered the room. He took the boy by the arm and led him forward.

"Extraordinary!" he muttered, squeezing Harry's arm. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen... lady," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing the other three. "May I introduce — incredible though it may seem — the fourth Triwizard champion?"

Charlie's face had fallen immediately as he looked at his friend, who stood there looking completely dumbfounded.

"W-what?" he said, in an angrier tone than intended, "What the actual hell? Harry and I are underage! Neither of us are eligible to be champions! Is this some kind of joke?"

"Joke?" Bagman repeated, bewildered. "No, no, not at all! Harry's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire! Just like yours did, Charlie — my goodness, your father would be so proud if he were here!"

Krum's thick eyebrows contracted slightly. Charlie was still looking politely bewildered. Fleur frowned.

"But evidently zair 'as been a mistake," she said contemptuously to Bagman.

"Well... it is amazing," said Bagman, rubbing his smooth chin and smiling down at the two young Gryffindors. "But, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. Their name's came out of the Goblet... I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage... It's down in the rules, you're obliged... Harry and Charlie will have to do the best they —"

The door behind them opened again, and a large group of people came in; Professor Dumbledore, followed closely by Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape.

Charlie could hear the buzzing of the hundreds of students on the other side of the wall, before Professor McGonagall closed the door.

"Madame Maxime!" said Fleur at once, striding over to her headmistress. "Zey are saying zat zeez little boys is to compete also!"

Somewhere under Charlie's numb disbelief he felt a ripple of anger; and apparently, Harry had felt the same judging by his furrowed brows — little boys?