11. the playground

A loud laugh made its way through the sitting area of the Playground. Jemma turned to Fitz, concern and confusion written over her face as he stared at his screen. It seemed like it had so much of his focus these days like he was completely immersed within it.

"What is it, Fitz? What's wrong?"

He wheezed again, "the person I'm playing with, they just- they played the word 'testosterone' and then 'argument'. I just- It's funny". He stopped laughing suddenly, realising the team had no idea who he was talking about. He shrunk into himself after that, giggling silently and tapping feverishly at the iPad.

He was the only one who knew about Skye's whereabouts besides Coulson. May had her suspicions and the rest of the team was told she was taken to a "secure facility to help people of her nature". Most of the team dropped it, part of being an agent was accepting there were just some things you didn't know. However, that didn't stop the whispers and gossip in the hallway. Mac and Bobbi were the most negative, often theorising that she had turned to Hydra to get back at the team. Jemma and Hunter chose to believe she was truly getting help and Fitz stayed out of it, giving them evil eyes every time they brought it up. The golden rule was not to discuss it around May, who had once yelled at an unsuspecting Mac.

"Any quakes, Simmons?" Coulson asked as he walked into the lab. She jumped slightly at the sound of his voice, turning with the screen in her hands. "Uh, well actually sir, yes. There are many earthquakes per day, especially in the area you've given me. But... none could be her. They're too weak to be detected by normal software and to spread out to be her fault. Plus, I doubt she is the middle of a lake... sir."

He nodded solemnly, thanking her for the update. While he wasn't allowed to know much, he kept tabs on areas around the tower and New York to see how she was doing. It was the least he could do.

What Coulson didn't expect was to be confronted by a fuming Mac in his offices toying with the Lola model on his desk. He walked in slowly, assessing the situation and the tense feel on the air. No words were said as he sat down and gestured towards a seat for Mac. He stared at him, waiting for him to talk.

"Where is she?"

"Who?" Coulson played dumb, testing his nerves.

"You know who. Where is she? Facility my ass"

"I can't tell you. And even if I could, quite frankly it's not your business. If you've got a problem take it up with Fury."

"No!" Mac shouted, fist slamming down on the desk, "That's not good enough. She gets powers and then you send her away. I want to know where... And I think it's weird that you, May and Fitz don't seem to care."

"I will talk to Fury, but don't expect any answers. And Agent Mackenzie, may I remind you that I'm your boss. Come into my office like this again and there will be consequences."

Mac got up and walked out in a hurry, muttering something and almost slamming the door off its hinges. Meanwhile, Coulson dialled Fury's number. Maybe a conversation was a little overdue.

Maria Hill strutted gracefully with a purpose through the halls of the Playground. Being called in because some low-level agent had a temper tantrum wasn't exactly what she was paid for. She was under instruction to meet the team in the briefing room and fill them in. In her opinion, it wasn't their business. She had seen how Daisy was nervous from her time with them - most of them didn't deserve to know.