Chapter Seven

He woke up to the smell of freshly made toast in the air. Still a bit groggy, Chris opened his eyes to notice Jonny was not in bed with him and the bedroom door was ajar.

His eyes immediately went to where he had left Jonny’s gift. The small parcel was still where he had left it last night. He guessed Jonny had not seen it which was good since he’d be able to witness his surprised look.

Wow! It’s Christmas!!!   

He eagerly thought and got out from bed in a swift movement. He put some trousers and a jumper on and headed to the small kitchen where he guessed his friend was.

“Jonny boy!” he cried out upon entering, gaining a lovely smile in return. “Happy Christmas, Jonny boy!” he told him, wrapping his arms around him in a quick hug.

“Happy Christmas to you too,” he said before turning back to check on the toast.

“Can I help you with breakfast, Jay?”

“Yeah, could you get the cereal, please?”

“Of course.”

He opened the cupboard to get it and saw Jonny had already prepared the vegetables on the counter.

“Jay, you have already started with that?”

He laughed, “A bit, it may take a while, you know, I have never been in charge of Christmas dinner!”

“Let’s have some breakfast and I’ll help you later, Jon,” he told him carrying the cereal and some bowls to the table.

Jonny finished the toast and tea and brought them to the sitting room where Chris was waiting for him.

The guitarist was about to sit at the table to have some breakfast when Chris said, “I think Father Christmas left you a little something, dear Jonny.”

His friend chuckled, “Really?”

“You don’t believe me?”

Jonny tilted his head.

“Come and have a look,” Chris dragged his giggling friend to the bedroom and looked at the small package and then at Jonny.

The guitarist followed his eyes, finally spotting it and a tentative smile appeared on his face, “Is it for me?”

“Of course, you silly bloke, who else would it be for?”

“Will?”

Chris rolled his eyes, “Go and open it!”

Jonny just stared at him as if he did not believe it.

“Go on!”

He got it, “To: Jonny,” the younger man read. “Awww. I like this.”

“It’s an environmentally-friendly wrapping,” Chris grinned shyly at the other man, and he looked expectantly as Jon inspected the small packet and began tearing the wrapping paper.

“Oh, wow, Spurs socks!” he exclaimed, genuine surprise in his voice. Chris melted at the gleaming eyes he had waited a whole night to see.

“Thank you Chris!!” Jonny said and hugged him. “You didn’t have to,” he whispered near his ear before letting go and gazing lovingly at his gift.

“Do you like them?”

“I love them!”

I love you, Chris thought.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Jay.”

“ Come on! Let’s go have some breakfast before it gets cold.”