Chapter Six

“Where were you?” Jonny was upon him the second he trespassed the door to their flat.

His quiet friend looked more worried than demanding as he waited for his answer.

“Went to the shop,” he explained and he could not help the mischievous gleam that appeared on his face when thinking of what he had got.

Puzzled, Jonny tilted his head, “What did you get?” he asked.

Chris giggled and reached inside his pocket, retrieving the Christmas cracker and holding it for his friend to see.

Jonny’s face lit up with a gorgeous smile and Chris’ heart unexpectedly fluttered, “A Christmas cracker!” the guitarist exclaimed with a loud laugh.

“Yeah! I only could afford one but I thought we couldn’t really have a Christmas celebration without one!”

“That’s great!” Jon took hold of it and inspected it.

“It’s one of the cheapest ones, nothing fancy,” Chris apologised.

 Jonny lifted his eyes, “It’s alright, I don’t mind about that, it’s a lovely idea, Chris,” he told him and Chris grinned from ear to ear, absolutely ecstatic Jonny had liked it.

“I’m making tea and toast for breakfast, is that alright?” Jon asked.

“That’s great Jay!”

“I would have preferred hot cakes or scrambled eggs but I can’t make them and we don’t have the necessary ingredients anyways,” he lamented and chuckled.

“We will both end up in hospital if I ever attempt at making them,” Chris joked along taking off his winter gear.

“Tea and toast will do,” Jonny laughed and headed for the kitchen.

“And cereal!”

“And cereal.”

“And French toast!”

“I can’t make French toast!”

“Oh, fuck. I thought I’d give it a go and see what happened,” he giggled.

During the course of the morning, the weather, as had been forecasted, did not improve, in fact, the blizzard seemed to be even worse than before, Chris noticed, standing in front of Jonny’s window, watching as inches and inches of snow accumulated on every surface outside.

As the radio host recounted all the problems the current severe weather conditions were causing all over the country, Chris felt even more grateful he at least had shelter, even if most of their apartment was freezing, Jonny’s room was their cosy refuge.

“…and to keep the Christmas spirit up on this Christmas Eve and so you can shake those freezing bones with some little dancing,” the radio DJ said, “Here I leave you with this classic!”

The first notes from the all too familiar song began playing and Chris smiled.

“Here’s Jingle Bell Rock, by Bobby Helms. So grab that special someone and warm yourselves up to this lovely tune,” the man finished and Chris spun around sharply, eyes big with a naughty glimmer in them.

Jonny, who was curled up on his bed, mind immersed in a book lifted his head at Chris’ quick movement.

“Come on,” he beckoned the guitarist with his hand, “You heard him, let’s dance.”

Jonny shook his head, “No way.”

In the blink of an eye, Chris stood in front of him, taking his book away and pulling him up from the bed, “Come ooon.”