Chapter Five

Technically, it was already Christmas Eve so Chris reckoned it was time he stopped with all the depressing thoughts, hard as that seemed to be.

He should focus on the positive.

He would not spend Christmas with his family, but he wouldn't be alone, his best friend would be with him.

He would not have his traditional Christmas dinner or those delicious treats his aunts brought, but he wouldn't starve and he had a small bar of chocolate.

They did not have a Christmas tree, but Jon had helped him decorate his room with some Christmas Lights.

The radiator in his room wasn't working but Jonny had let him sleep in his own room and it was actually quite comfy.

He stretched his legs and settled into a better position. Jon was already asleep so, despite he wanted to share his thoughts with him and hear his reassuring words, he remained quiet.  Having him close though, reduced his anxiety and brought him peace. For some reason, his friend's presence was quite comforting.

Lulled by the knowledge this Christmas wouldn't be as bad as he had thought, by the lovely hue of the little lights blinking in the otherwise darkened bedroom and by Jonny's quiet breathing, he slowly but surely, slipped into slumber.

It could have been a few minutes, it could have been an hour, he did not know, but Chris once more came to consciousness some time during the night. Without moving, he groggilly opened his eyes and gazed outside the window. Snow was falling again quite copiously.

Despite the complications it had caused them, it looked pretty and Christmasy. His eyes began to droop and he shifted his legs until he was comfortable and settled for a few more hours of shut-eye.

His hand slid forwards and gently collided against Jonny's body. At first he was too sleepy to realise but a minute later his mouth flew open with a shocked and mortified gasp...the warm feeling on the back of his hand was produced by not other than a very noticeable erection. As quick as a lightning bolt he withdrew his hand.

Shit.

Deeply ashamed and with his heart racing, Chris remained immobile.  God, what would Jon think? Was he even awake? He wondered, trying to control his breathing.

"Jon?" he ventured.

His friend did not answer. Chris observed him, the faint light coming from the Christmas lights allowed him to distinguish the other man's features fairly well. He focused on Jon's face, on his chest, which raised and fell with every quiet breath he took. His eyes twitched as if he were dreaming. He was in deep sleep.

He let out a big sigh of relief, Jonny hadn't noticed. He wasn't freaked out about it, being a guy himself, he was pretty acquainted with the way the male reproductive system worked. He chuckled to himself remembering the horror of the time his nana came into his room to wake him up one day, as she had done since he was little, only this time he was in his early teens and he was sporting a very visible case of morning glory. The sheer mortification that rushed through him at the time and the nonchalant –or not so much- chat his dad had with him afterwards still made him shudder.

Suddenly he realised this was actually the closest he'd been to another person in years. It was rather sad, really, that the only person he had shared a bed with in the last year had been his best friend. Not that Jonny was a disappointment; he was amazing and wonderful, but well...

He was wonderful, wasn't he? Such a sweet bloke, painfully shy, but now that they had been friends for over two years he knew what a wise, funny and lovely person he truly was, he thought with a smile.