Chapter One

"Yo bro! How's it going?"

Canada grimaced. The last thing he wanted was for America to come over. Not that he disliked his brother. It was just that today was his day to go the library and have a conversation with someone that didn't forget his name or not notice his presence or mistake him for his brother. And of course, the person to interrupt his heavenly paradise, was the said brother, America. The thought almost made him want to slam the door in his brother's face.

"America, do you think maybe-"

The southern boy pushed his way through the door.

"First, we're totally going somewhere to eat because I am STARVING!" America said, completely ignoring his brother, "Then we could go hang out at the mall or something. I'll pay."

"America, I need to tell you something-"

"And hockey! Dude, we should totally rock a hockey game today!" he said, "Oh! I know! How about this?! Hockey against a team of polar bears! I can see it now Kumajudo and us on one team, wild polar bears on the other!"

"Wow..." said Canada, pausing slightly at his brother's odd suggestion.

"I know right?" said America, clenching his fists, "Doesn't it sound AWESOME?"

"Well..." said Canada, "It certainly sounds... interesting... but um, America, do you think perhaps, um... I could maybe have a say in what we do too? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude... but..."

"Sure thing," said America, "Where do you wanna hang out, bro?"

"Um, well," said Canada, suddenly feeling embarrassed, "I had some errands today. M-maybe we could stop by the library?"

America looked at him blankly for a second before laughing.

"Dude! Of all the places you could have picked you pick there? That is so lame!" he said.

Canada felt something sink inside of him. Probably the tiny piece of self-esteem he still had. No, too heavy. Maybe it was lunch.

"But! I mean, I am dragging you halfway across Ottawa, aren't I, dude? Just make it quick please. There are way cooler places you and me can hang out it."

Canada tried to conceal the anticipation that always accompanied such a trip. He didn't want to look too eager. He picked up the unread books he had borrowed merely so he could be near you.

"So, first we'll go to the library, then we should go to Wendy's – you guys have Wendy's out here, right? – And then stop at the mall and then-"

Canada ignored his brother's happy chattering, imaging the sight of your face, trying not to feel too many negative emotions about his brother tagging along. It wasn't that he didn't like America visiting and hanging out with him, it was just... well... it was so much better to be with someone who noticed him all the time. Heck, someone who noticed him at all. Someone who didn't ignore him or randomly accuse him of being someone else. And someone who wasn't always in his face when he was recognized. He didn't really want to hang out with America right now, but he would have to make the best out of what he had.

He tried not to tremble with eagerness as he left the vehicle and walked over to the library. He had completely forgotten his brother was their, noisily sipping on a frappe he had insisted they get before coming by.

"Man, this place looks huge," he said.

"Yeah... please, try not to be too loud," Canada couldn't help saying.

"Me? Too loud?" asked America, deliberately adding some more vigor to his voice, "Never!"

He giggled as Canada sighed. It was exasperating, really, but as he entered the building, all thoughts of his brother left and instead entered euphoric ones of your attention.