Chapter 9

"You really think I could carry this?"

Payal was helping Khushi into a jet black knit evening gown with all over shimmer and sequins. The bodice had an illusion neckline and mesh sleeves with embroidered lace appliqué. And the gown went all the way down to her ankles with a slash on one side that began mid thigh.

"I do."

Khushi made a face and thought she'll let Payal do her thing and then decide after seeing the overall look.

"Khushi, shall I ask you something?" Payal's tone was unusually wary.

"Haan..."

"Are you ok? Are you happy with this job? I mean, sometimes when I look at you I kind of feel bad... as if I have made you do something you really don't want to... actually I get that feeling a lot. I saw you and thought you'd do good as a model but I should have asked you first before going to your mother, hai na?"

Khushi smiled at Payal. "Payal, I'm happy with this. I'll be honest and say that I did feel like I wanted to run away from all this initially but I really do like it now. Even if I am not the best fit for this job. I might not be able to do a lot of things some models here do but I'm happy with what I'm doing. And ain't I lucky that I'm able to work on my own terms? And it really does feel joyful... I would probably have given up if not for an employer like Elan..."

"Okay then. This question has been nagging at me for a long time. Because if you don't want to be here, I just wanted to tell you that I will support your decision."

She smiled a reassuring smile at Payal and walked over to the mirror to peruse her self. "I only wish I had a chance to complete my studies..." she said and then she did a trial walk up and down the dressing room, "Oh my god! I do look good," she said with alacrity and raised her brows at Payal asking if it was okay.

"Perfect. And Khushi you can complete your studies even now," Payal said.

"I know. I'm thinking about it. I just have to figure out a way to do it without affecting my work here. Now let me change and then we'll go have lunch. I'm hungry," Khushi said wistfully thinking about the poori and aloo she had packed.

"Khushi, you're always hungry!" Payal remarked with a laugh. "For someone with such a tiny frame, you really do have a huge appetite..."

"That I do. You should have grown up where I did. The sweets from my dad's shops and the chaat and snacks from the neighboring shops were an everyday affair for me... you only have to have it once to get lost in the taste," Khushi said, closing her eyes in pleasure.

"Paagal," Payal said fondly. "Next time I'm in Lucknow," she promised and said, "Change quickly and let's go feed Khushi's not-so-tiny rumbling tummy. I'll pass the dress over to your stylist to keep it ready for the show."

They talked enthusiastically over lunch revisiting their past, about food and everything and nothing. The ease with which she and Payal had become close surprised Khushi at times. And even as they were talking, the topic about Aakash came up. Because Payal's past was incomplete without mention of him and she heard Payal say, "I've been with Aakash for over ten years."

Khushi's eyes widened in surprise, "Ten years?"

Payal nodded. "It will be eleven this December..."

"So you started dating since you were..."

"Fifteen..." Payal said and continued after a pause, "He's been my best friend since kindergarten when we first sat next to each other. I don't know if it was destiny or something but since then we've been almost inseparable. We started dating when we were in tenth grade..."