The Perfect Gift (Levi x Birthday Reader)

Start from the beginning

You gasped. Stuff like that was really expensive.

As if he read your mind, Levi muttered, "It's a special occasion. And it's your favorite flavor, so you'd better eat it."

You couldn't help but giggle at his attitude. Levi usually came across as irritated or apathetic, but you knew he cared.

"I will," you promised with a smile. "Thank you."

After the cake was devoured and the presents were opened, someone pulled out the booze. You laughed as you watched your friends get drunk and do stupid things for the fun of it, but you didn't feel like drinking anything yourself. Although you were having a great time, you were starting to feel exhausted once again.

Your carefully concealed yawn didn't escape Levi's notice. "Tch. Falling asleep already?" he asked from his spot next to you.

"No," you replied cheerfully, not wanting to be rude. "I'm fine. Really."

Levi rolled his eyes, then stood. Before you could blink, he had swept you into his arms and was carrying you from the room.

Your friends didn't seem to mind that you were leaving the party. While most of them shouted some variant of "Happy birthday!" as Levi carried you out, one of the guys yelled "Get some!", and another whistled loudly.

Despite the fact that you were just going to sleep, you blushed at their teasing.

"Levi, you don't have to carry me," you mumbled sheepishly.

"Tch. It's your birthday," he muttered. "Just relax, for once."

You nodded, though the blush didn't leave your cheeks. You and Levi had only recently admitted your feelings for each other after harboring them for a long time. Being cradled in his arms was still a new sensation for you, but you couldn't deny that you enjoyed it.

You snuggled into his muscular chest with butterflies fluttering around your stomach.

Levi brought you back to your room. He somehow managed to open the door while balancing you in his arms, and then he carefully set you on the edge of your bed.

"You didn't have to carry me all the way here," you said quietly, still feeling a little embarrassed.

"Tch," he scoffed. "I wanted to, brat. Besides, I haven't even given you your present yet."

Your brow furrowed as Levi took a seat next to you. You had thought that the cake was his present. But Levi reached into his jacket and pulled out a flat box, just a bit bigger than his palm.

"Here," he muttered, averting his eyes as he handed the box to you.

Gingerly, you took the gift. You glanced at Levi, as if searching for reassurance, but he was too nervous to meet your eyes.

You opened the box, revealing a beautiful silver necklace. The charm was an array of small, (f/c) gems in the shape of a rose.

"Levi," you gasped. "It's beautiful. Thank you."

"You're welcome," he mumbled with a blush on his cheeks. You rarely got to see the shy side of Levi, but you thought it was adorable.

Feeling a little shy yourself, you asked, "Um...would you...help me put it on?"

Levi's eyes widened, and he glanced at you in surprise. You saw his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed. Almost inaudibly, he muttered, "Alright."

You moved your hair out of the way while Levi delicately lifted the necklace from its box and slid behind you. His fingers lightly brushed your bare skin as he hooked the chain around your neck. Your breath hitched at the contact.

His fingers lingered on your skin after he was done. Then, so, so gently, he pressed his lips to your nape.

You froze, every sense narrowing on the places where his skin met yours. He felt so warm, especially as a shiver ran down your spine. You didn't know what to do. You only knew that you didn't want him to stop.

Too soon, Levi's touch left you. You turned to look at him, only for his lips to meet your own in a soft, chaste kiss.

"Happy birthday, (f/n)," he whispered.

"Happy birthday," you replied breathlessly, your mind having gone blank at the first brush of his lips.

Levi chuckled, and it was only then that you realized what you had said.

"I...um...I mean..." you stammered, blushing furiously.

However...Levi was smiling. The sight was so rare, so beautiful, that you suddenly forgot your embarrassment.

You stopped, taking a moment to simply admire him before murmuring, "Thank you."

Levi lovingly brushed his fingers across your cheek. "It's late. I should go."

He slipped off your bed, but you stood and grabbed his wrist.

"Wait," you muttered hastily.

Levi turned to look at you. Before your sudden bravery could wear off, you leaned down and softly pecked his lips.

"Goodnight, Levi," you whispered.

Levi smiled again, and your heart stopped.

"Goodnight," he replied.

After Levi shut the door behind him, you went to the mirror to marvel at the gift he had placed around your neck. You could tell he had picked it with care. Its style complimented you perfectly. Plus, the chain was short enough that you didn't have to worry about it catching on anything while you fought – which was good, because you never wanted to take off that stunning jewel. It made you feel like Levi was still with you, even though he wasn't physically there at the moment.

Smiling to yourself, you dressed in your pajamas and crawled into bed. Levi's necklace still rested against your skin.