These Nights That We Suffer, (So Long As They Go On)

Everything abt that pic is so perfect

Post-serum and post ws

⚠️TW: This story includes mention of abandonment, mention of self harm, talk of torture/abuse⚠️
Also, I'm writing this at 430 a.m. cause I just woke up from a nightmare and I'm too pussy to get my dad (I'm child) so I decided to write a fanfic of my fav ship to help myself and it's probs just everything I wish would happen to me rn. It's edited kinda idk I just ran a spell check so if there are any other spelling/grammatical errors pls let me know. Feel free to request anything, no smut tho

     Bucky was always prone to nightmares. Whether they be his memories of HYDRA or Steve abandoning him, Bucky would dream it. And, it sucked not wanting to go to sleep when he was so damn tired just because he was scared to have another nightmare.

     But he always had Steve. And whether Bucky liked it or not, he somehow always ended up asleep in Steve's comforting embrace.

     When Bucky would wake up screaming and sobbing, Steve would always help him calm down. He would make sure Bucky wouldn't do anything to himself. He would make sure that he knew what was real and what was his mind. He would make sure that his Bucky was safe.

     The nights that Steve wasn't there to help Bucky through it all, he had mini Steve (as he called it when he showed Steve), who was just a teddy bear dressed up as Captain America. He would hug mini Steve until he was calm enough to fall asleep again.

     So when Steve heard that heart-wrenching scream of Bucky's, his eyes shot open and he sat right up. He held his crying boyfriend tightly, never wanting to let go.

     "Hey, hey," Steve cooed. "I'm right here, doll. I'm here," Steve gently moved Bucky into his lap, planting a soft kiss on his cheek.

     "Stevie, they took me," Bucky sobbed.

     "It was a dream. You're safe. I'm with you, pal, I'm here." Bucky moved himself so that his chest was against Steve's and his arms were around Steve's shoulder. Steve hugged Bucky's trembling torso and ran his hand up and down Bucky's back, over and over again. Steve didn't know what else to say, so he grabbed Bucky's good hand and gently brushed his thumb across the to of it. He noticed Bucky's scars. He knew that they were there but every time he saw them, it was as shocking as the first time. Then he thought of something. "You're a survivor, Buck. They had their power and they abused it. They abused you, for God's sake. But you fought. You fought and you survived, and I'm so proud of you for that. No one will ever hurt you again as they did. Never again." Steve held Bucky tighter, and Bucky knew that he was safe with Steve.

     Finally, the ex-assassin passes out in the old-souled hero's arms. He cried until he did. And he never wanted to go back to sleep because he knew that he would probably have another nightmare, or continue the one that woke him. But, he and Steve had managed to calm his roaring thoughts enough for him to sleep through the rest of the night—  err, morning. And when the sun rose each morning, all of their worries and stresses disappeared. And Bucky knew he really was okay.

Word count: 571