Chapter 7

I was sitting at the lunch table with Dinah across from me. Ally had taken the day off sick and I was really sad as I wanted to talk about Lauren and I. I looked around the lunch room until I spotted a pair of green eyes looking at me intently. We stared at each other for a while before she turned around and rejoined the convocation her friends where having. I turned to Dinah and realized she saw the interaction when her eye brow raised up. I lent forward a little before speaking.
"Do you think she knows?" I whispered softly.
"How could she know? You have been wearing a mask each time." She replied as a whisper also.
"You know she keeps showing up at the diner every night and asking for coffee." I said to Dinah and she scrunched up her face in confusion.
"What's wrong with that?"
"Nothing. Just when she does she comes alone and she talks to me." I said glancing in Lauren's direction.
"What does she talk about?" Dinah asked curiosity clear on her face.
"Everything. Cinderella, parties, school, what collage she wants to go to. She talks to me as if I'm her friend only I'm not her friend." I said glancing back at Dinah when I saw Lauren shifting in her seat.
"Maybe she is doing that with people to find Cinderella." Dinah said with her thinking face on.
"Yeah but the thing is I am Cinderella. How much can I give away before she knows?" I asked Dinah growing nervous about the topic.
"Would it be so bad if she did? She said it herself that she doesn't care who Cinderella ends up being." Dinah said trying to persuade me again into telling her.
"Yeah but she said that to Cinderella. It could've been an act of desperation to know who I am." I said looking down sadly. I felt Dinah's hand below my chin and her lifting my head up to look at her.
"It doesn't matter. Whatever happens just be grateful that you did something for yourself. For once in your life you've been going against your step mother and you seem so happy when you do. Don't let bad thoughts get to you and ruin the present." She said softly. "And besides you've always got Ally and I. Where here for you through everything."
"Thank you." I said giving her a grateful smile. "Now let's hurry up before we are late to class." I said standing and both of us made our way to class.

We made it into class and say in our usual seats as we waited for our teacher. Dinah to my right.
"So are you ready for the music festival. You've only got a week." Dinah said turning to face me in her chair.
"Yeah I've picked out a song and I've also got a little something planned but I'm not quite finished with it. I'll tell you about it when it's all ready." I said smiling at Dinah. She lent over the gap between our desks and whispered to me.
"If your plan is to reveal yourself to Lauren I am so ready." She said with happiness clearly in her voice.
"Maybe it is maybe it isn't so shhh." I said placing my finger on Dinah's lips gently as I saw Lauren enter the room out the corner of my eye. Lauren walked past and sat in her desk and I turned away from Dinah not wanting to continue the previous convocation infront of Lauren. I was staring at the front of the room until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Lauren smiling at me and smiled back before she spoke gently.
"Are you ready for the music festival? I remember you mentioning it to me."
"Yeah I'm all ready. Are you going?" I asked hoping with every fiber in me that she'd say yes.
"Yeah of course. I like to sit back and listen. I sometimes perform but I decided not to this year so that I'm not a nervous reck and actually pay full attention to other peoples acts." She said smiling wide at me. "And Cinderella told me to go. She said she'd be there." Lauren said her eyes drifting to the wall behind me and she had a dreamy kind of look on her face.
"Well cool. Maybe she'll finally say who she is." I said.
"I hope so." She said smiling at me. "Anyway the teachers here so talk later." She said and I turned around with a smile on my face. Out the corner of my eye I saw Dinah wink at me and chuckled a little before fully focussing on the teacher.