22. High Off Love

Devyn sat numbly on the beach, her clothes and hair drenched from the cold and salty sea

Devyn sat numbly on the beach, her clothes and hair drenched from the cold and salty sea. Her mind reeled as it went over the evening's events, from Theo to John B to Barry. Her fingers nimbly fiddled with the baggie full of white pills that rested in her palm. She wasn't exactly sure what they were. She only remembered that Barry had said they were 'a step down from Xanax.'

Her shaking hands managed to open the small baggie, dumping a singular, pale pill onto her palm. Devyn studied it for a moment, before bringing it to her mouth and throwing her head back, swallowing it dry.

Whatever it was worked fast, because in a matter of minutes, Devyn felt at peace. She watched the violent waves crash in slow motion, feeling as though her body was vibrating at a hundred miles an hour. With the effect of the mystery drug from Barry, she finally calmed down, taking a deep breath as she tucked the bag into her bra, more than 10 pills left inside, free of charge. The sounds of the world around her were muffled, almost as if she were underwater as she let the frigid ocean nip at her feet.

Devyn didn't register the sound of her name, only snapping back to reality at the presence of a hand on her shoulder.

"Devyn Odessa Keoka!" JJ Maybank snapped, the girl flinching at the use of her full name as she shrugged his hand off. She knew that he meant business.

"Jackson Joseph Maybank," Devyn retorted, blinking slowly up at the blond, whose hair looked lighter in the moonlight.

"Don't call me that," JJ frowned to himself as he sat on the rock that Devyn was perched on. "Where the hell have you been? It's four in the morning!"

She shrugged at his question, keeping her hazy eyes trained on the water as she opted for silence instead of an answer.

"I told you that I had to go home," JJ chose his words carefully at her disheveled state, taking note of the dry blood on her arm and hand. "After that I went by your house, saw that your room was destroyed. I thought something terrible had happened."

"Something terrible did happen," Devyn said quietly, relishing the feeling of absolute bliss that her mind and body were currently under.

"I know, I know," JJ sighed, running his hand through his golden locks. "We can try and go figure out what's going on in the morning. Visiting hours are at nine."

Devyn nodded, simply pursing her lips instead of using her words, unwilling to rip her eyes from the glowing moon she was currently entranced by.

"You gonna tell me what happened that had you so freaked out earlier?" JJ asked her softly, his warm voice radiating comfort and love.

Devyn merely shrugged again, letting out a heavy sigh as she fiddled with her fingertips.

"When Rafe and Kelce had you in the locker room, three Kooks took me into the bathroom," her tone was quiet and detached, the effects of the pill numbing her emotions like a dimmer switch. "Two of them held me still while the other one..."

JJ grabbed her hand gently, encompassing her cold skin in his warm grip. His jaw clenched at her words, terrified of what she was going to say next.

"What did the other one do, D?"

Devyn shook her head lightly, trying to erase the feeling of Theo's bruising grip.

"He tried to touch me."

Her voice was barely above a whisper but she knew that JJ had heard her. She didn't have to look at him to know that his sharp jaw was clenched and his muscular hand was curled into a fist.

Devyn let the cool night breeze whip her damp hair behind her, relishing in the feeling of the wind on her face. Her tan and toned frame shivered slightly, both due to the breeze and the fact that the girl had decided to swim in her clothes.

"I'm gonna fucking kill every last one of them," JJ snarled, jumping to his feet as he began to pace on the beach. "Tell me their names."

"No."

Devyn's simple answer hit the blonde like a brick wall, causing him to stop his nervous pacing and stare at her. The bags under her eyes made her look paler than she was, the eerie glow of moonlight certainly not helping her case. The big brown eyes that he fell in love with looked hollow and empty and it terrified him. He kneeled in front of her, grasping her cold face in his warm hands as he tried to get her to look at him.

"Please look at me," JJ pleaded softly, heart clenching as she continued to stare past his head. "Look at me!"

The sharp tone of his voice took her aback, the girl flinching out of habit as her cold eyes encompassed the feeling of fear, meeting his tired blue orbs slowly.

"I'm sorry," JJ sighed, running his thumb over her cheekbone soothingly. "I didn't mean to yell."

"I know," Devyn mumbled, closing her eyes as she leaned into his touch. She felt as though she were floating, lifting into the chilly night air and soaring somewhere far away. Somewhere that she didn't hurt all the time.

"Please tell me their names," JJ begged her, wanting nothing more than to find the boys and rip their heads off.

Devyn shook her head, opening her eyes as a small grin played at her lips. "No, JJ. It'll only make it worse. They'll get what's coming to them."

JJ sighed as he dropped one hand, using it to smooth her damp hair behind her ear as he pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead. There was nothing he could do if she wasn't willing to tell him, which stung, but he knew that it wasn't about him.

"I hope you know how much I care about you," JJ told her gently, heart pounding with each word he spoke.

"I know, Jack," Devyn smiled softly, the boy pulling a face at the use of his first name. "I know I never talk about my feelings, but I care about you too, more than I let on."

JJ's face lit up at this, his hands grasping her face gently as he connected their lips. Devyn kissed him softly, gently, although the effect of the drug made the kiss feel euphoric. One hand grasped the back of his neck, the other winding itself around his shoulder. His lips were soft and silky as they danced with her plump ones, working together in perfect harmony.

JJ pulled away first, standing up and offering the black-haired girl his hand.

"Come on, sunshine. Let's go back to the Chateau. We can try and get some sleep or we can stay up and watch the sunrise."

Devyn smiled at this, accepting his outstretched hand and pulling herself to her feet. The two walked hand in hand back to the Chateau, one of them high off pills and the other high off love.

———

authors note:

i imagine the song ribs by lorde playing during this chapter. this whole chapter was sort of melancholy but in a good way, has a lot of development for the two of them. i know they never said JJ's real name but i feel like jackson joseph suits him. thank you for all of the love and support, please leave a comment/some feedback!

love y'all
-ayden