23. Don't Come Home

The early morning light was what awoke Devyn Keoka, rather than the blonde that was snoring softly into her ear

The early morning light was what awoke Devyn Keoka, rather than the blonde that was snoring softly into her ear. She blinked the tiredness from her eyes, smiling softly at the way JJ was curled around her like a cat. Her cold hands played with the sleeve of his hoodie, the boy stirring slightly at her movement.

"JJ," Devyn whispered softly, turning on her side to face the boy, who was refusing to let her out of his grip. "What time is it?"

He simply grunted incoherently in response, keeping his eyes firmly shut.

"Come on, JJ. I want to go see if John B's okay," Devyn pleaded, punching his arm repeatedly, which seemingly had no effect as he began to doze off again.

"Jackson Joseph!" The girl snapped, pinching his nipple harshly as the blonde's eyes flew open, slapping her hand away.

"Did you just give me a fucking titty twister?" JJ scoffed, eyes wide in disbelief, more than awake now.

Devyn merely shrugged, unable to wipe the shit eating grin off her face. "You can't prove that. What fucking time is it?"

JJ looked at the watch on his left wrist, sighing softly as he squinted to read the numbers. "8:45."

"Okay," Devyn huffed, climbing out of John B's bed dramatically. "Get ready, visiting hours start at 9."

"Yes ma'am," JJ grumbled, running a hand through his blonde locks as he began to raid John B's closet.

"I need to grab some clothes from my house," Devyn told the boy, who turned to look at her nervously.

"Are you sure?" JJ asked her softly. She had barely been home since the latest incident with her brother. He didn't like the thought of her going alone. "I'll go with you."

"I cant go to the hospital naked. I've been wearing John B's clothes for days, I feel like a boy," Devyn huffed dramatically, suddenly remembering the bag of pills that were still tucked inside her bra.

"I mean," JJ drawled, licking his lips as he made his way over to her, his hands settling low on her waist.

She resisted the urge to flinch at the feeling, smirking at what the boy was hinting to.

"Maybe after we find out if our best friend is dead," Devyn suggested.

"You make a strong case," JJ pecked her lips.

"Besides," Devyn stood on her tip toes, her warm breath fanning his ear, sending goosebumps down his spine. "I doubt you could handle it."

Without another word, she sauntered out of John B's room, a smirk gracing her lips. Just before she went out the front door, she heard the blonde yell.

"Is that a challenge!?"

She chuckled, shaking her head as she made the short trek to her house. Devyn did her best to swallow the feeling of fear that was picking away at her as she turned the rusty doorknob.