18. Hope Is A Dangerous Thing

Devyn sat atop her small mattress, her hands raked through her damp hair

Devyn sat atop her small mattress, her hands raked through her damp hair. She had been home for almost an hour and was worried sick about JJ. She had taken a shower to distract herself, although the salty ocean water only reminded her of JJ's eyes and had the complete opposite effect.

Barry was gone by the time she got back, and Alex delivered a swift jab to her mouth for interrupting their time together.

Now, she sat on her mattress in one of JJ's t-shirts and a pair of athletic shorts, her lower lip busted and bruised, her shaking hands pulling at her hair from the root as her leg bounced up and down nervously.

The sound of her window opening made her jump to her feet, her head jerking toward her favorite blonde hopping into her room.

"Hi," JJ said quietly, giving the girl a sheepish grin as he closed her window.

She wasted no time in running over to him, her arms wrapping around his neck and her legs around his waist as he held her tightly. His muscular arms enveloped her body as he let out a sigh of relief, the black-haired girl burying her face into his neck. For the first time today, he felt safe.

"I'm sorry," JJ choked out, biting his lip harshly as he held her up, his chin resting on her shoulder. His deep voice wavered softly with emotion as Devyn jumped down from his hold, taking his face into her hands gently.

There was a small cut on his cheek, a purplish bruise encircling it angrily. Other flashes of color were dipped across his tan skin, a sight that made Devyn's lower lip wobble and her stomach churn nauseously as she took in his bruised appearance.

"I'm sorry," JJ repeated, his eyes filling with tears, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Come here," Devyn whispered softly, wrapping her arms around his stomach as his found their way around her shoulders.

The sound of his muffled sobs broke her heart and she found herself squeezing him tighter out of instinct. JJ stumbled backwards in her arms, collapsing onto her mattress with a low 'thud'.

"I'm sorry."

Those two words seemed to be the only two that JJ was capable of at the moment as Devyn ran her hands through his soft hair, shushing him soothingly. His entire body shook with each loud sob, although they were slightly muffled into her neck as they laid on her bed.

"I know," Devyn whispered softly, raking her nails gently over his scalp. "I know."

No more words needed to be said. They knew that the other understood better than anyone else. JJ drifted to sleep in her arms, his tears staining her clothes and his own cheeks. Devyn rubbed her back with his nails long after he fell asleep, trying to ensure that the boy had as much comfort as possible as her mind raced.