05 | birds and tears

*  *  *

* * *

"SWISH AND FLICK!"

Valerie Grindelwald could feel her eyes drooping as she listened to Professor Flitwick's piping voice.

The first two months of classes had went by in a blur. Transfiguration was derivative, Potions was unbearable, Herbology was chaotic, Astronomy made her eyes sore, and she didn't even want to get started on Flying Class. History of Magic was a certified time for a nap.

Valerie didn't know really, she had to drag herself across the halls for the past several weeks, all drowsy and sluggish. Harry was still ignoring her, and the obnoxious comments followed her around like a moth to a flame, so no development there.

She would have never imagined her first two months at Hogwarts to be like this, or at least she thought she would be a tad more energetic. Yet, there she was, her head resting on the palm of her hand as she stared vacantly at the feather in front of her.

"You don't have to be embarrassed to try, you know. I won't care if you fail." Theodore spoke smugly from beside her, his wand in hand.

The sandy-haired boy had stopped bugging her as well, save for a few churlish remarks here and there.

"I could care less what you think of me, Nott." Valerie deadpanned, not bothering to look at him.

From a peripheral view, she watched as Theodore waved his wand around in circles whilst chanting the words at an odiously loud volume. These days any type of noise felt like nails drilling into her head.

"You're in Charms class, not the Wild West." she grimaced. "Stop with the lasso."

A sour look made its way to Theodore's face, "That's rich coming from someone who hasn't even picked up their wand."

Valerie rolled her eyes, slowly raising the Silver Lime wand. "Wingardium Levi—" she was unable to finish the charm as she felt her mind go hazy.

"Could you wake me up after class?"

Theodore was utterly confused as Valerie crossed her arms over the desk and ducked her head. What he didn't know, was that the poor girl was unequivocally exhausted.

She had been having the same dream night after night, and was hardly getting any sleep at all, not that anyone knew. Each time felt more real than the last, and she started to question what they were becoming.

"Valerie... Valerie!"

"What?" the young Grindelwald grumbled, coming face to face with an alarmed Theodore. He tilted his head in the opposite direction, motioning to the Professor who was looking at her expectantly.

Valerie could feel the heat rise to her cheeks as her classmates stared at her.

"Class dismissed." Flitwick announced, giving her a curt nod. "Miss Grindelwald, stay."