12 | end of the beginning

*  *  *

* * *

"HIYA VALERIE— OOF!"

Rubeus Hagrid cut off his own words as a pair of arms wrapped around him, looking down to see the girl who wore the ghost of a smile on her face.

"Thank you, Hagrid," Valerie spoke quietly, before pulling away from the half-giant, "For everything."

"I should be the one tellin' ye that!" Hagrid chortled, before putting his hands on her shoulders, "Now, ye be good this summer, a'right? If ye need me ter pick ye up and take ye away from that dreary ol' castle, I'll be there."

Hagrid's gaze then shifted someone behind her, pointing in his direction, "Hey, it's Harry!"

Valerie looked over her shoulder, before waving cheerily at the gamekeeper. "See you next year, Hagrid."

"Valerie, wait!" Harry called, just as the girl was about to make for the train. He ran towards her, panting. His hands rested on his knees as he tried to regain his composure.

"Hi, Harry," Valerie greeted, laughing softly at his behaviour.

"I just wanted to say," Harry spoke in between breaths, "That I wouldn't have gotten through this year without you. So, thanks a lot."

Valerie raised her eyebrows, a little confused, "Right back at you...?"

"N-no, really. You don't care about what people say about you, you've forgiven me for being a completely unreasonable twat, and you-you've been the best friend anyone could ever ask for,"

Valerie was about to reply, not knowing where all this rambling was going. Harry opened his mouth, closing it again before putting on a nervous grin.

"I-I guess what I'm trying to say is, that I well, uh— never mind."

Valerie furrowed her eyebrows at the boy, shrugged it off quickly. Her eyes darted around the station, and she pointed towards Hagrid before looking back at Harry.

"Hagrid wants to see you. You should get going. Have a nice summer, Harry!" Valerie gave the boy a quick side-hug before boarding the train.

Harry Potter was left motionless, a flabbergasted look on his face as he sighed in frustration. Whatever he was about to say, it would indisputably have to wait.

*  *  *

"—Then, Blaise's foot got caught in the gap as we were about to board, but he's alright now, just a little bit shaken." Theodore Nott wrapped up his words, comfortably sitting cross-legged on the cushioned seats of the Hogwarts Express.