Chapter 30: Home

Annabeth's POV

"Come outside with me you two." The officer said. Outside were helicopters, police cars, and ambulances, as if it were a high-speed chase. The people in the gas station stared at me and Percy as we walked out of the place. It seemed like we were in a different world, like everything was a dream. We walked out into the heavy snowfall, and camera crews and news stations stood outside the doors and started to ask a million questions at once. The policeman escorted us out, shoving the cameras out of our face. When the paparazzi cleared, I saw everyone waiting for us; Piper, Jason, Hazel, Frank and Leo. They all had the same worried expression spread across their face. They seemed to be looking around, searching for me and Percy. When Piper finally caught my eye, she ran forward to us. I fell into her hug, and she sobbed into my ear. There were so many things needed to be said, but we just hugged and cried. The rest of them caught on and surged forward too. 

"Dear gods." Hazel joined me and Piper in the hug. The boys huddled around Percy, and we all just stood there, not caring who was watching. 

"There was a whole helicopter chase on TV, and we thought you two were..." Leo trailed off. We talked for a little longer before me and Percy went to the police station to get questioned. Me and Percy said our goodbyes and hopped into the police car. I held Percy's hand, and he wrapped his arm around me. It felt so good to be back in his arms.

 We drove all the way back to New York, since apparently we were in a small town outside of the city. It was about thirty minutes to get to the police station, then the officer took us into an interrogation room. We explained everything to them. Starting with the fact Helen had been abusing me all of my life, since my Dad had started to date her. We then explained everything about the ransom and me being held hostage. Percy told the police about the whole rescue mission to get me, and how he got shot by one of the guards. When then informed the police officer about what happened at the dance, and then about them kidnapping us to the abandoned factory and then escaping.

The officer sat in shock.

"Well...that's a new one. We have had our suspicions about her for a while. Turns out she has been running an illegal organization that has been torturing teens like you." He said. Now I was the shocked one. I always knew that Helen's job was fishy, but I was not expecting THAT. Percy could tell what I was thinking, and he squeezed my hand in reassurance. 

"Well, you two have a lot to process. I'm gonna let you guys go, thank you for coming in questioning." The officer said getting up from his seat.

"All of the men and Helen are in custody, so you won't have to worry about them again. We will have no other contact with you until further notice. Good day." And with that, the officer walked out of the room, leaving me and Percy speechless.

"Annabeth...I'm so sorry for what Helen has done to you. I promise, I won't let anyone hurt you like that again." Percy looked determined. I wrapped my arms around my neck and kissed him. The warm feeling never faded. He kissed back, and put his hands on my waist. I pulled away.

"Dinner?" He asked. 

 "That would be great." I smiled. I never realized how exhusted and hungry I was. We got up from our seats and walked out into the lobby. I was surprised to see Helen and the guards standing with their hands cuffed behind their backs. I stopped and smiled at her.

"What can I say? Karma's a bitch. Rot in hell, Helen." She scowled at me one last time before Percy took my hand and walked me to the doors. Before pushing the door open, he flipped Helen off and said fuck you. 

We walked back into the frigid city air, but it felt like home again.

"Left or right?" Percy asked, looking lost.