Chapter 9: Breaking Point

Percy's POV

I didn't talk to Annabeth for the rest of the week, or the few days after that. She hadn't stopped by for the notes yet, and I doubt she ever will. My life had hit rock-bottom. I don't think it could get any worse than this. Not talking to Annabeth, nonetheless seeing her all over a complete asshole, have been quite miserable.

I walked out of my room. I really didn't feel like going to school, again. For the past few days, I've been in my room or the spot, conteplating living. Gabe had beat me every day I've stayed home. I'm almost to my breaking point.

I walked to the kitchen, when I bumped into Gabe. Literally and figuretively.

"Stayin' home again, you little shit?" He shoved me into the wall.

"Gabe, please-" He slapped me in the face, hard. I fell to the ground. I was about to get up when he kicked me too the ground. Gabe hovered over me, and started to punch all around my body. I tried to put my hands up, but it didn't help. Tears started to fall as I writhed in agony. He kicked me in the ribs, and I got the wind knocked out of me. 

"Stop." I tried to yell. It came out as a whisper. I took one last punch in the face, and felt blood coming out of my mouth. Gabe stepped over me and collasped on the couch, going straight to sleep. I stayed stretched out on the floor, crying. I hate my life. I hate it. I grabbed onto the counter and painfully stood up. I wiped the blood pouring out of my mouth. I can't do it anymore. I limped over to my mom's bathroom. I opened the cabinet door, revealing a bunch of pill bottles. I grabbed a random bottle and poured a handful of pills onto my hand. I backed up against the wall, crying hysterically.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I whispered. I grabbed a cup from the sink and filled it up from the faucet water.

"Mom please...I'm sorry." I popped the pills and downed the water. I began to feel dizzy and nauseous, and I fell down. With a single tear falling down my cheek, the world turned black.

Annabeth’s POV 

I’m gonna have to do it someday. May as well be today. I sighed and picked up my car keys. Today was going to be the day I picked up the notes from Percy’s apartment. I haven’t heard from him in days. As much as I denied it, I missed talking to him. I started my car and drove to Percy’s place. Within minutes, I arrived at the complex. I parked and got out of the car. I scrolled through the text messages between us to when he sent me his address. 234 was his room number. I climbed up the stairs and made my way to his apartment door. I knocked on the door. 

“Percy?” To my surprise, the door squeaked open, as if it were unlocked. Strange. I thought. I slowly walked inside. I was greeted with his step-dad Gabe passed out on the couch. I crept to Percy’s room, and the door was open there, too. I looked inside of his room, and he wasn’t in there. I walked to the kitchen and no one was there either. There were only two rooms I haven’t looked in. His parent’s room, and their bathroom. I was walking down the hallway to his parent’s, when I saw the bathroom light on. I peaked around the corner, and my heart stopped. Percy was unconscious on the floor, with a pill bottle and pills sprawled all around the floor. 

“No, no.” I leaned down to him. He had bruises and dried blood on his face. His shirt was off, and his stomach and abs had deep bruises and cuts, too. I gently shaked his shoulders.

"Perce. Wake up." I shook a little harder.

“Percy you’re scaring me.” His body remained limp. I started to cry.

“Percy wake up! Percy!” My tears dropped onto his bare stomach. I check for a pulse, and didn’t really feel anything. I frantically pulled out my phone and dialed 911. My hands shook uncontrollably. 

“911, what’s your emergency?”

“I just found my f-friend  collasped o-on the floor and he w-won’t wake up.” I cried.

“Is he breathing?” I checked again.

“I can’t tell.”

“And where are you hun?” I told her the address. 

“The ambulances are on their way.”

“Do you happen to know the cause of death?”

“Don’t say that, don’t s-say that. He isn’t d-dead.” I held onto his hand.

“There are some pills right next to him.” I choked.

“Ok, stay on the line for me, dear.” The lady said.

“Percy.” I whispered quietly. I collasped onto his body and hugged him. I sobbed into his hair. 

“I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry.” I said repeatedly. Soon I heard the sirens, then the footsteps coming up the stairs. I got up and rushed to the front door. I spotted a paramedic. 

“He’s in the bathroom.” I pointed down the hall. Tears blurred my vision as the medics rushed into the bathroom. Suddenly, Gabe woke up.

“The hell is going on here?” He yelled. 

“Your step-son is dead!” I screamed at him. His face fell. He suddenly sprinted out the door. I didn’t even care, all I cared about is Percy. The medics rushed out with Percy on a stretcher. One came over to me. 

“There is a large amount of ibuprofen in his system, and is attacking his kidney and liver. He is not dead, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up, Miss.” The paramedic rushed back to the ambulance, and before I knew it, they were on their way to the hospital.