Chapter 13: Guilt Trip

Percy's POV

Needless to say, Annabeth broke up with Luke that day. Not that I cared. Well that's a lie. I shook my head at myself.  Maybe, but I've got my eyes on Rachel.

"Where are we going?" She laughed and smiled.

"Just follow me." I held her hand. I took the left by the tree, and cut straight across to the spot. I could finally see the clearing of trees, and the pond. Rachel gasped.

"This is beautiful." She let go of my hand and rushed towards the beach. I guess it was more like a small patch of sand.

"This would be a great place for a party." I laughed nervously, hoping she was joking.

"You're not throwing any parties here, ok? This is our secret." I still laughed. This time, she laughed.

"Sure." She said sarcastically. I shook it off as a joke and sat down by the tree. Suddenly my heart slowed. It was the same tree I had leaned against when...

*Flashback*

"What happened to you?" She looked concerned and touched my jawline where Gabe threw a beer bottle at me. My face turned pink and I swatted her hand away. "I'm fine."

*End of Flashback*

My heart ached. I could still remember her warm hands on my face, and the concerned looked in her eyes.

"Hello? Earth to Percy?" I snapped my head up.

"Uh, sorry." I said embarrased. Rachel smiled.

"It's ok. Can we go back now? I'm starting to get cold." Not gonna lie, it hurt that she wanted to leave. I wanted her to appreciate the place more.

"Yeah, sure. But uh, can this place stay between you and me? It's kinda special to me." I scratched the back of my neck. If Annabeth found out, she'd lose her shit. I can't let that happen.

"Uh huh." She said not really listening. I sighed, and we walked back.

                                                                                                 ----------

"You going to the party tonight, Perce?" Rachel asked. I laughed and closed my locker.

"Are you serious? I hate parties with a burning passion. But if you'll be there...I'll consider it." I smiled and walked down the hallway. I suddenly felt a tug on my arm. I looked over to Annabeth standing there. I wondered where this is going.

"Percy." She said in a low voice. I scrunched my eyebrows. I haven't talked to her in a week, since the incident with Luke.

"Uh, hi. What do you want?" I looked around.

"There's something you need to know about Rachel." She looked me in the eyes intensely. I gave her my undivided attention.

"Keep talking." I said. She sighed.

"I was looking through Drew's story on Snapchat, and I saw Rachel hanging out with her. I found out some other stuff that you don't wanna know about, and she's not the person you think she is. I just thought I should let you know before going all in with her." I thought for a second, then laughed.

"Oh, how the tables have turned. Listen, I don't think you should give me advice on who I date, and focus more on who you date." I smirked. She clenched her jaw, then took a deep breath.

"Can't say I didn't warn you." She walked off to class. I sighed and looked back at Rachel. There's no way. I thought. I watched her red curls bounce on her shoulders and her big smile that stretched ear to ear. I scoffed and turned back around.

                                                                                                 ----------

"Sorry, but I can't give you a ride there, since I'm help setting up the party." Rachel said to me at the end of the day.

"Oh, that's ok. I'll just get a ride from someone else." I said queasy. I don't know anyone who'd be willing to give me a ride.

"Perfect. The party is at Drew's house. See ya." She walked off without giving me a chance to say goodbye. I don't know why, but it sounded as if she was lying about something. I shrugged it off and headed home.

On my way home, I saw Annabeth and her twin brothers walking home. She was walking in the middle of them and holding their hands. I felt bad about the way I talked to her earlier today. I guess she was trying to help me, but with what? There's no way the things she said about Rachel was true today. But then again, I saw them talking to eachother earlier. The Rachel I knew would never talk to Drew, maybe even hate her. Them talking just doesn't make sense. I gripped the straps of my backpack tighter and continued walking. Should I go up there? That's insane, I told myself. I'm sure she hates me, especially after how I treated her today. Fuck it. I'm gonna do it. I am? Yes you are. I sound fucking insane, I told myself. I shook my head and started to walk faster, then to a jog to catch up to her. What the hell am I doing? You tell me. I was about five feet away, when I started to rethink my descisions. Too late now, I'm gonna look like a maniac turning back around. My face started to turn red as I began to panic. One of the twins turned around and saw me.

"Annabeth, who's that guy behind us?" My eyes widen in fear.

"What are you-...Percy?" She turned around and stopped in her tracks. She glared daggers at me.

"Hi." Was all I could muster out of my brain.

"Why are you here? And why is your face so red?" She said confused. I stood paralyzed.

"Uhm, I just thought I could...say hi." I explain stupidly. I shook my head at myself again for how much of an idiot I am.

"That guy's weird." The other twin pointed at me. I turned even more red, which I thought was impossible. Annabeth laughed, and I saw her eyes soften.

"Yeah, he is." She turned back around and began to walk again. My face cooled off, and I started to jog back up to her.

"Uh, can we talk in private?" I asked nervously. She raised an eyebrow.

"Sure. Matthew, Bobby, go race to the stop sign. Three, two, one." They raced off towards the end of the road.

"What do you wanna talk about?" Annabeth said looking at the twins run.

"Um..." I trailed off. I know what I wanted to say. I wanted to apologize for everything. But something held me back.

"Do you know where the party is tonight?" I blurt out.

"That's really what you wanted to talk to me in private for?" My face turned red again.

"Uh, I don't know?"

"The nerve you have to come up to me and my brothers and ask where a party is, actually astonishes me. Get a fucking grip, Percy! I thought maybe, just maybe, you would say 'sorry' for treating me like dog shit after saving your life, but I'm wrong about you again. First I was wrong about you being a nice, caring person, and now I'm wrong about you being a decent human being. Frankly, I never wanna see you or your snake of a girlfriend ever again, so I suggest you get the fuck out of here before it gets ugly." (Author's Note: DAYUM)

Her stormy grey eyes matched the sky as she glared through my soul. I was speechless because she was right. I've been awful to her just because she didn't like me. Oh my god, I'm an absolute asshole. I thought. She walked away and caught with her brothers, leaving me alone and guilty.