Chapter 4 - Two More Days

These have been the longest three days of my entire life. If I'm not doing my best to evade my controlling grandmother then I'm trying to find creative ways to get Felix off my trail. Nana has had our every waking moment scheduled and ensures that no time is wasted. We've spent every meal together, made multiple visits to hospitals and community events together, and when we make it back home she has some activity planned for us to do together. Movie nights (faked caring to a sick Luna), picnics (faked a walnut allergy), family game night (faked period cramps), and etc. She's gotten so desperate that she even allowed me to do art so long as I made Felix my model and agreed to model for him. I'd say I hated it all but its' had its perks as well as its downfalls.

Her itineraries have left me with no alone time or time to spend with friends so I've taken the liberty of adjusting it myself today. Instead of attending etiquette class with my sibling, I told Nana I would spend the day at the stables with Felix. I'm sure you can imagine how overjoyed she was at my initiative in making plans for us. It was the first time in days that our conversation didn't end in an argument. This was Felix's last day in Grace Castle and I knew Nana would accept any excuse that included us spending time together in hopes of a confirmed relationship upon his departure. It wasn't a complete lie but it also wasn't the truth. I would spend the day at the stables but I'd be alone.

Bax may have made fun of my inability to drive a car with a horsepower engine but I could certainly ride a horse. The stables were one of my favorite places to find to draw when I was younger. I actually fell in love with art after drawing Diego, my butterscotch Quarter horse. I got him when I was ten for my birthday. Dad and uncle James taught me to ride and the rest, as they say, is history. I spent many days riding the trails, only to stop halfway through to sketch. Needless to say, it wasn't long until Nana restricted my riding time in order to reign me in.

I stand in Diego's stall gently brushing him as I let my mind revel in the joy of pure silence as the wind blew and the sound of birds chirped faintly in the background. The sounds of nature entranced me and I could already feel muscles that I didn't even know were filled with tension loosening up. Deigo's hid had been knot-free for a while but I couldn't bring myself to stop the calm stroking motion. Back and forth I brush as I stared out the small window at the back of the stall watching butterflies dance from one flower to the next.

"I didn't know the stables were on the itinerary for us today?" The sound of Felix's voice brought my thoughts to a screeching halt. I watched him saunter over in his skin-tight jeans and t-shirt, never breaking my stride. So much for peace and quiet.

"It's not. I just used it as an excuse to get out of spending an hour in a room with my siblings learning good behavior. Honestly, I wasn't expecting you to come out here at all. If you haven't noticed, I enjoy my me time," I said bringing my focus back on the task at hand.

"Hard to tell when we almost spend every waking moment together."

"Ha, that's not my choice. Got a problem with it, take it up with the Queen Regent. Trust me, I've put my request in to dismiss the itinerary entirely and was duly shut down."

"Oh I don't have a problem with it at all," he says grabbing the spare brush to stand on the other side of Diego. We stood in silence and brushed in sync like a well-oiled machine. Felix may not have noticed but I could see Diego tense just a bit as he entered his stall but the calming motion of the brush eased him. "So be honest with me. You've enjoyed spending time with me," he said and I could practically hear the smile crossing his face with every word.

To be honest, on the few dates I couldn't escape, I had enjoyed myself. We had similar interests and he had skills that were unmatched with the public. It didn't take much for him to gain the love of my people. What I liked most about him was that he didn't let the media play him into confirming a relationship with me nor tried to play up our outings to give them any ideas. He was a total gentleman and I sincerely appreciated it. Had I found him on my own, instead of through my Nana, I may have given this three day meet and greet a real effort. Unfortunately for him, it was for that very reason that I would do what I had to in order to keep him at arm's length.