Chapter 2 - Worst Than Death

My alarm shook the entire bed at 1:30 am but Luna was not disturbed. I slipped out of bed trying my best to be quick and silent. I opted for a simple all-black outfit from head to toe. I wore my favorite black tennis shoes, a black baseball cap, and a long sleeve shirt that I'm sure is going to kill me from the heat if the poison ivy doesn't itch me to death first. I checked my outfit out in the mirror feeling straight badass before going to the door to listen.

"All clear on the high hall. What's your eta, Greg?" Kris said into his mini mic.

"At the front gate, 20 minutes out, on my way." He responded.

"Make it 10. I'm on the move. Over and out."

"Over and out," He said as I listened to the steady steps of Kris's shoes as they descended the staircase.

When I couldn't hear the steps anymore I cracked the door looking both ways before stepping out and closing the door slowly behind me. I tipped down the hall checking for light under each door. Dawn was a night owl, so the light gleamed bright around her door as a soft thump of music hummed around the hall. I hugged the wall peeping around it to make sure Kris was gone and Greg hadn't made it. Like an amateur spy, I hopped on the rail and slid down jumping off just before I reached the giant knob atop the end of the rail. Wasting no time, I sprinted down the visitor's hall staying in the shadows. I slow my pace as I reach the door at the end of the hall that leads to the pool area.

The wind was warm as it blew across the pool making small waves. I speed walked to the left side around the pool straight to the shed. I didn't want to risk anyone seeing me from the windows above. I open the door flipping the switch immediately only for no reaction to occur. Luckily my phone was fully charged as I pulled it out turning on the flashlight. I examined the room and found the panel. I move things out the way and find a headlight to put on, so I put my phone back. Pushing the panel open and stepping out slowly, my foot nearly slips over the edge but I balanced myself. I push the panel back down into its place but leave a small crack for later. I had good coverage on this side so I walk slowly not knowing where I'm going. When I start to hear noises I turn off the headlight and take off in a sprint being scratched at my limbs until I reach the road in front of the castle. I was far enough down that any guards at the gates wouldn't be able to recognize me. They remained like perfect statues ignoring my presence.

I stand under a street light enjoying the silence of the town. When I was out during the day, these streets were filled with tourists and citizens heading to work. It was nice to see its calm serenity and experience a new side of Ravensburg. I walk down the street and admire the historic structure of some of the buildings until I reach a weathered old house with bikes outside. Are there kids inside?

I go up the steps half terrified of what I might discover. There is no door but a new doormat reading 'Welcome to the L.A.D' sits on the floor. I laugh to myself as thoughts of Luna cross my mine. If she was here she'd say this is the part where the white girl does something stupid like go inside the scary building that clearly says 'Keep Out.' As the only black character in your movie, I vote we follow the directions on the door and stay out. I refuse to be the first person to die. I WILL make it to the end credits.

She has a point, I should leave but my interest is highly peaked and I can't help myself. If there are kids here I want to know why and what I can do to help them. This house isn't too far from the castle and I couldn't sleep at night knowing a group of kids in need were huddled up in a worn-out house just a few blocks from us. As I inspect the inside it looks far more lived in compared to the outside. There's even food in the fridge. Could someone possibly live here?

"HELLO!" I say. "Is anybody here?" I ask as I start to ascend the stairs. They creek a little but not enough to fully immolate a scary movie. There are five doors at the top of the stairs and I go straight into the first one to the right. In the room was a bed with a few posters on the wall and the dresser had clothes scattered in it. I cross the room and look out the window. I can see the castle with lights shining and stars gleaming above. It was truly beautiful. Before I knew it I had taken a seat at the corner of the bed and started to sketch. Hours seem like minutes as they pass by.