Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

They stared at each other for a moment before Jungkook nodded. "Take your friends, the brothers, and this westerner and bring them with you. Follow after us, we'll take you to a safe place."

The young man nodded. "Thank you."

~oOo~

"The entire village... is gone?" Minho stared at the messenger in shock. "Are you sure? Are there any survivors?"

"We think perhaps fifteen members of the village died, but General Kim and General Jeon were there, and were able to help get people out of the village."

Minho nodded with a sigh and fell back against the wall. "This is bad..."

Jisung looked up from the scroll he was reading and nodded. "We need to send resources to them. General Kim is still on the scene?"

"We should join him," Minho said quickly, standing up. "I'll ask Chan to watch the kids. We need to go see the villagers."

Jisung turned to stare up at him. "What? Why should we go?"

Minho looked at him strangely. "You're their king. They would have a lot of comfort if you went to see them."

"The prince is correct," Changbin walked into the room holding a letter in his hands. "I just got a letter from General Kim. He says that he's planning on bringing five kids they saved over to the base here at the San Palace."

"He said that?" Minho murmured, rubbing his head. "I guess he feels bad for them. I'm going," he turned away from his husband. "You should come with me. After all, they're your people."

Jisung glanced from a retreating Minho to Changbin who nodded at him to follow Minho.

He sighed and stood from where he was sitting and ran after Minho to catch up. "Wait up!"

Minho reined in Cho as he reared in the air, impatient waiting for Jisung and his horse. "Come on," Minho called as he set Cho loose and they raced out of the palace gates. "Hurry up!"

Jisung chased after him on his white mare.

The village was little more than scattered blackened wood and ashes and somewhat burnt crops, some of which General Jeon's men had been able to save. There were still people staying just outside the village in a makeshift camp site where General Jeon and General Kim were also staying at the moment.

"This is horrible," Minho said thickly as he rode through what used to be a Han village full of normal citizens.

Both generals were waiting for them at the start of the camp. The bowed on one knee as Jisung dismounted from his horse and walked towards them. "Stand. What happened here?"

General Jeon sighed. "We were tipped off that there was a Black Mask base within the village, which was true. But they were waiting for us when we arrived and they set the entire village on flames."

Minho looked around at the scattered villagers from old men and women on the edge of life and death, working parents, people in the prime of their lives, young girls and boys that had just witnessed their homes burning to the ground.

"This..." he blinked. "Is horrible..."

"Indeed," General Kim stepped forward. "We have a few young orphans now that we're planning on taking into the army, if you will allow it."

Jisung hesitated before nodding. "Of course. Take care of them well, General."

"That's the thing," General Kim and Jeon both shifted on their feet. "There is one kid... he is not like the rest."