His brows lowered just barely a noticeable amount.

"She would have liked to, but unfortunately she had to take care of something in the city." He responded.

"I see," I grimaced, "Then can we make this as short as possible? I have something I need to attend to."

His grin grew.

"Something to attend to you say?" He all but purred, "What exactly would that be if I may ask?"

"You may not." My words came out with more venom than I anticipated.

Silence overcame the room yet again as my last word echoed through the room.

I was expecting his next words to come with anger at my disrespect, but what he ended up doing somehow made me angrier.

He let out a small laugh, crossing one leg over the other before he leaned back.

he finished with a satisfied sigh before he spoke up again.

"Oh, Nicolas, your life would be so much easier if you hadn't adopted the trait of being so stubborn."

I didn't fight my glare.

"You don't seem like you understand that my trait was inherited, now can we get to the point?"

Another subtle laugh.

"It appears you also inherited my lack of patience," He set his arms on the armrest, "Which perfectly ties into why I wanted you here today."

He paused, expecting me to say something but I stayed quiet.

He continued.

"You see, I recently found and retrieved a valued slave of mine that was contained under your doing, though, I'm sure you already caught word of this."

I swallowed hard, nodding as confidently as I could possibly muster.

I didn't want him knowing that his actions and suspicions had caused me to force my hand.

Forced me to surrender everything to keep Khloe away from him.

He opened his mouth to speak again, but paused, the confident look in his eyes faltering for just a moment.

I didnt even have time to question his actions before whatever caught his attention caught mine.

My heard dropped as the mix of scents caused me to instinctively turn my head towards the door.

The smell of both Khloe and blood hit at about the same time, but the two weren't related.

Still, that fact didn't stop my blood from boiling, especially when the scent of the boy who my father had freed came into the mix.

Carlo, Khloe, and the sound of quickly approaching footsteps.

Shit!

Panic shot through me like a bullet before I turned back towards my father, my nails sharpening with the realization of what was happening

When I saw him too staring at the door expectantly, one soul-crushing fact became clear.

He outplayed me.

He outplayed me but this wasn't over.

I felt my adrenaline and previously dormant instincts flow through my blood as I replayed that in my head.

The anger I fought so hard to hide finally showed itself as my posture subtly shifted and my eyes turned to slits.

My body was preparing itself to fight.

What I loved and promised to protect was in danger.

So despite how foolish it seemed to be, I was willing to do whatever I could to protect her.

I restrained myself enough for the time being to keep my thoughts as straight as I could.

I didn't know fully what was happening, and I wanted to make sure I could deduct the best possible way to do this.

My head snapped back as the doors behind me flew open.

The image I saw nearly pulled me into a rage right there and them.

There Carlo stood, hunched over, His breaths heavy and trembling as blood poured from his nostrils and a cut on his lip and brow.

And there in his arms, was Khloe fighting to keep her consciousness, her breaths as sporadic as his were

My feet shifted in preparation.

Right now I just needed to get to her.

I needed her in my grasp and as far away from this as possible.

There was no other plan in my mind, just get her out of here.

The oddly irked voice of my father was the last thing I heard before I lunged towards them.

"Ah, Carlo. You're early."