Chapter 67

Nico's POV:

Something didn't sit right with me as I headed towards my fathers throne room.

Granted, something hadn't been sitting right with me for a couple weeks now, but this one felt different.

I wanted to think it was because I had no idea what he wanted from me this time, and I didn't want to get my hopes up.

I hoped that maybe my mother had spoken to him, and talked him into easing up on what he was putting on me.

That would at least give me a good place to start once Khloe was out of this situation and safe somewhere else.

Still, a part of me knew how slow my father was to dropping his intentions and ego most of the time.

At the very least, I just didn't want this to go the same as our last conversation did.

I didn't want to return to Khloe angry.

He knew almost everything that I tried to keep from him, and I think that's what was keeping my anxiety.

I could probably lie my way out if I had to, but with Khloe's departure being so soon, I hoped I wouldn't have to do that for a while.

I tuned into my senses as I approached the guarded doors, trying to get a quick read on who I was about to appear before.

I didn't realize I was hoping for my mother until disappointment caught me at the lack of her scent.

Who I did catch was my father, and two vampiric guards on the other side of the door.

I looked over each of the guards that were already on my side of it, noticing them stiffen at my gaze.

No human slaves. No scribe to keep this conversation in our records. Just my father and some guards.

My eyes narrowed.

I didn't like this.

I could leave. I could just turn around and walk away.

God how badly I wanted to, but we were so close to getting Khloe safe.

Any added suspicion from my father at this point felt like it would just come back to bite me later.

So I took a second to get myself in check before going in.

The last thing I needed was him sensing my nervousness.

Swallowing my expectations and a bit of my pride, I pushed the doors open.

Tilting my head up gold plaited steps, I spotted him, leaning forward with his eyes already trained on me.

The room was deathly silent save for my footsteps before I stopped where I usually did.

The tension in this room was already thick and no one has said a word.

I could practically smell the uneasiness from the guards who were now behind me, their fingers fidgeting against their decorative spears.

"Son." He began.

My fists tightened at my sides.

One word in and his tone was already disdainful.

I put my hands in my pockets.

"Father," I replied, matching his tone exactly.

I swear I saw the corner of his lip rise and his eyes flash in amusement, forcing me to swallow a growl right from the start.

Two words in and this was already going great.

"I would have thought mother would be here as well," I spoke, hoping his response would give me some kind of hint as to what this conversation was going to be about.