Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

"I have a meeting tomorrow with Max and what I assume the other candidates for the leadership program. I'm hoping I'll be able to find out more about why we're so allied with Erudite" his voice goes even lower.

I nod, thinking of Jeanine Matthewss' visit and how Eric is most likely the reason why Amar is dead. An ache for justice pings around my stomach.

"I wish I could feel safe here" my eyes finally settle on his. He's still looking over at me, concern is written all over his face.

"I don't think we can feel safe anywhere." Four wraps an arm across my shoulders, I set my head on his. I may not feel safe in Dauntless- with knowing that people are looking to murder the Divergent- but with him, I feel next to alright.

"What did you get on the aptitude test?" It's a random question, but one I've been wanting to know since our last night in Abnegation.

I can't see his face, but I feel his contemplating. "Abnegation," he pauses, "but I knew that I was in a simulation."

Another boulder of tension releases from me. I finally was able to get him to admit our unspoken secret- he was like me. Divergent.

"I got Abnegation, too," I start, "and Dauntless. And Erudite." This is also strange to admit after all this time, but I trust him enough to keep this secret between us.

Four looks at me with his eyebrow cocked. "Three? That's impossible..."

"That's also what they say about being aware during the simulation" I counter.

"You got me there" Four brushes his black locks back. "Would you have stayed in Abnegation if I did?"

I pull myself away from a selfless response. "I don't know. Part of me never wants to leave your side, while the other tugs me toward the unknown" I sigh. "I'm happy, though. To be here with you."

Four grins. "I'm happy, too."

We sit again in the silence, shoulder to shoulder while we both let our minds wander. I could get used to days like this.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The afternoon quickly turns into night. Four and I spend the majority of our free time in his apartment then in the training room. It felt good to release some of the anger I've been feeling for the last few days.

The eight of us decided to get tattoos to commemorate our first day of being officially Dauntless members; Uriah, Marlene and Lynn wanted to take part in it too.

We all pile into the small tattoo parlor, a few people standing in different areas with the curtains drawn to divide each artist at work. The sound of the familiar tattoo gun echoes through my head; it'll never be a comforting noise.

My friends spread out while I stand in front of the small section of Dauntless flames, something I've been wanting for a while now. Since my first visit, I've visited Tori two other times. An Abnegation symbol is placed on my right shoulder blade while the Dauntless symbol is on the left. I glance down at my bare arm to see the broken glass. A grin appears when I think back on the day; Mia gave me the option to either cut my hair off or get a tattoo as an apology for giving her a black eye.

To think- that was the start of our friendship

There's a sudden form of warmth right behind me, lungs inflating and deflating against my back. I turn my head to find Four looking past my shoulder to see what's in front of us.

"Good choice. Where are you planning on getting it?" Four asks coolly, his breath against my cheek.

A shiver runs up my spine, goosebumps raise. "What do you suggest?" I ask loud enough for him to hear.