Chapter Two

Without meaning to, I look over at the Abnegation while on my walk towards the Dauntless.

I see the faces of the leaders, of my now old neighbors, all giving me disapproving looks. Marcus seems as if he's distraught, maybe confused to why his son left him.

I find my brother a few rows back, he smiles proudly. That's enough for me to decide this was the right decision.

Though last minute.

People I don't know take my hand to welcome me to their faction, patting me on the shoulder. I feel my cheeks burning.

This is more contact that I've ever had with anyone before.

Soon I find the line of the rest of the transfers, my fellow initiates. Taking the empty spot next to Tobias, an Erudite boy on his other side giving me a strange look.

"Hey" I whisper, nudging Tobias and gesturing to the small pool of blood on the floor. He looks down at it with a shrug, taking material from his buttoned shirt and ripping off a piece to create a bandage.

When the last person chooses their faction, the group of Dauntless make their way out of the room first. Tobias takes my arm and guides the both of us into the swarm of black clothed people.

I'm already trying to catch my breath when we get outside and start running, but Tobias keeps his hand gripping my arm to help me keep pace with the others.

"Where are we even going?" I pant, running people surrounding us.

"Up there" Tobias points to the train platform. Great.

As we get closer to the steps, someone taller than the both of us blocks my path and his grip loosens. I try to call for him, but he seemed determined to make it passed the group of people; I watch him push to get himself with the faster runners who already wait for the train above the rest of us.

This has to be the first test of initiation, I think. You have to get yourself on the train or you're factionless.

I contemplate moving past the people as fast as Tobias did, but something tells me that the middle will do me just as good.

Finally I'm able to catch my breath, wiping the beads of sweat on my forehead and neck. I didn't notice until now that my hair has fallen from its knot, though I don't care enough to put it back. But the feeling doesn't last for long, the horn of the train sounds from somewhere nearby, I look up again to see people start a slow jog.

"What are they expecting us to do?" Someone asks from behind me, I look back to find a strawberry-blonde Amity girl trying to see past the sea of people.

"I think they want us to jump on a moving train," I grin. Remembering all the times I watched the Dauntless jump off of them from a distance, now I get to do it for myself.

"Let's go!" Someone shouts, the rails beginning to rumble. I can see the tip of the train about to pass. People begin to run.

With everyone else, I run up the steel steps and along the short platform; the walkway doesn't end very long, so there's an even smaller time frame to get myself on the train.

People in front of me and behind me swing into the train cars, some standing straight up while others land on their bodies.

"Come on!" A boy looks down at me, holding out his hand. I take a few breaths before leaping and taking his hand, my other hand grabbing the railing on the side of the car to hoist myself inside.

"You good?" He asks once I find my footing, our hands dropping and I quickly step away from the open door.

"Yeah- yes. Thank you" I pant quietly and look around the car. The boy is Dauntless, he having friends on the other side of the room waiting for him. I also notice the other transfers, but no sign of Tobias. He must've jumped into one of the first cars.