22

Chapter Twenty Two - Getaway

Three months later.

"Wow." I breathe as we walk up to the hotel and spa building.

Acres of land stretch out for miles around it and I find myself becoming excited for the weekend getaway Roman has planned for my birthday today. After the whole Dan Schmidt incident, I had spent the time healing and job searching in Houston. He and his men were charged appropriately and locked away for good. Me and Roman went on a few more dates and he finally asked me to be his girlfriend.

I was eventually hired by a big media company in Houston when they read my research report on how I was involved in catching Dan and have been working there for almost two months now. But Roman has been swamped with work and new cases so he's never been able to get away for some free time...until now. We drove up to Austin this morning to celebrate me turning twenty-five.

"This isn't even it, wait until you see where we're staying." He grins as he pulls me inside.

A man called Gerald meets us at the entrance with a wide smile and we check in. He then guides us to the back of the hotel and we follow a trail through the woods. Eventually it splits into three and we take the first on our left. We walk for some time before my breath hitches when I spot a secluded cabin.

"This is your cabin for the weekend." Gerald smiles as he unlocks the door and lets us inside.

My eyes widen I see the living room with a wood burner in the corner. There's a small kitchen on one side beside the television complete with a coffee machine, snacks and much more. A crescent shaped couch sits in the middle on top of a round rug and the coffee table in the middle is filled with welcome treats as well as a bottle of champagne. There's a sliding cabinet built in near the door where food can be delivered rather than us having to open the door to get it.

My gaze lands on the sliding doors and I walk outside onto the wraparound deck. I spot a hot tub, dining area and lounge chairs. We're surrounded by the woods and the sounds of just the animals and birds is so calming. There's other cabins in the distance but we're spaced out evenly so that it feels private. But as I walk around to the side I see a longer passageway leading to a smaller cabin.

I turn with an excited smile and find Roman staring at me as he leans against the threshold of the door. He reaches for my hand and intertwines it with his before guiding me to the bedroom. We walk through the passageway that's lined with glass before he opens the door. There's a double bed with a seating area to the left and a large bathroom. Two double doors open to another wraparound deck also.

"This is amazing, I love it! Thank you Rome." I peck his lips with a happy smile.

"I'm glad you do." He grins boyishly before we go back to meet Gerald.

He explains a few details before leaving us to settle in. We unpack our things before I freshen up in the bathroom. I walk back to Roman waiting for me in the sitting room with a content smile. Taking a seat beside him on the couch I grab a chocolate covered strawberry and take a bite as he hands me a glass of champagne. He nuzzles his nose against mine before pecking my forehead.

"Hungry?" He asks as he picks up the menu for room service. "They have cooking classes here. I booked one for us that starts in two hours but we can have a small bite to eat now."

"Really?" I perk up in interest at that and watch as he nods. I've been trying to learn how to cook and bake but it's an extremely slow process. "That sounds fun! Maybe since it's my birthday I'll magically have some luck and nothing will go wrong!"