4

Chapter Four - Quiet Ones

"Oh...shit!" I start cycling away as fast as I can.

My poor heart hammers away in my chest when I hear an engine starting. Pedaling faster I look for an alleyway I can cut through to get away from Roman. But just as I've found one a car skids to a stop in front of me. Squealing in shock I press the brakes but it's a little too late. I end up crashing into the side of the car and lose my balance. The back of my head hits the hard concrete just as my arm scrapes against the ground. Groaning I sit up just as the car door opens.

"Elena –"

"You just harmed a cyclist for no reason! Who even let you become an agent?!" I yell as I pull up my sleeve to see bloody scratch marks.

"I'm sorry. Let me clean that up, come on." He extends a hand which I take with a fierce glare.

He takes out a first aid kit from the backseat as I lean against the door on the driver's side. I hold my arm up as he cleans and disinfects it before placing a bandage over the scratches. But when his eyes meet mine it's only then that I realize I've been ogling him. Blushing in mortification I avert my eyes as I mutter out a low "thanks."

"Did you pay for that bike?" He questions as he puts the first aid kit back in the car.

"Yes!" I exclaim before narrowing my eyes at him as I pick it up. "Why would you think I stole it?"

"Return it." He ignores me before nodding in the direction of a bike rack. "And get into my car."

I perk up in excitement but Roman deflates it by saying, "I'm taking you straight back home."

Huffing I wheel the bike to the rack and make sure it's secured before walking back to the car. He's texting away on his phone while the engine runs and I get in unhappily. I should've been stealthier! I think to myself in disappointment. No wonder I got caught!

"Didn't I tell you not to follow me?" He starts driving down the road and the question makes me bite my lip.

"I was not following you." I scoff while desperately trying to come up with a lie.

"Then what brought you here? You said you were going back." He asks as he glances at me briefly.

I spot a Krispy Kreme and can't help what I blurt out next. "I wanted to get some donuts."

"There's two Krispy Kreme's in the city." He deadpans with a heavy sigh.

"Yes...but I heard this branch has a limited-edition donut." I look at him with innocent wide eyes.

Before he can grill me further though a ringtone goes off throughout the car. Muttering something illegible under his breath he accepts the call and answers in a gruff yet professional tone...which I find extremely sexy. Breathing a sigh of relief, I don't miss the way Roman glances at me in suspicion. Smiling cheekily at him I turn my gaze back to the front.

"Uncle Romi?" The voice of a young boy filters through the speaker. A strangled chuckle escapes me which has Roman glaring at me murderously.

"Hey Isaiah." He greets with an embarrassed clear of his throat.

"Are you busy?" He asks thoughtfully and I can hear a girl rambling incoherently that she wants to talk too.

"Nope, what did you need?" He asks in a gentle tone and I'm momentarily surprised by how he softens immediately.