Chapter 20 - Jake the Snake

Over the next month, things started to settle down. My father had kept his promise and life in the Cane household was the best it had been in a long time. Even better, Shane had come into his own as the Capulet starting quarterback. Under Romeo's tutelage, Shane's confidence at the position skyrocketed. He'd been undefeated in every game since returning to the starting spot.

On the other hand, Jake Wright plummeted into a downward spiral. He'd been hostile to me at school. He no longer talked to Shane. He'd been convicted of vandalism and sentenced to over a hundred hours of community service. He was getting in fights and failing his classes. I started to become scared of him. My dad was forced to throw him off the football team. He was taking cheap shots at everybody in practice and targeted Shane with a head to head collision. Luckily, Shane was okay. My father had simply had enough of Jake.

One week before the end of the football season, Jake came to school high on cocaine. He shoved a math teacher and got himself expelled. No one saw him after that day. I was thankful I no longer had to see him at school. It was sad. We'd shared some fun times together. He'd been popular and a talented athlete. Within a few months, he'd sabotaged his life.

I remembered back to how lucky I thought I was to be dating Jake. I became one of the most popular girls in school. He and my brother had been best friends since junior high. He spent a lot of time at my house. My parents treated him like a son. I used to stare at him across the dinner table when he stayed over. I would walk around the house in my little bra and panties to get his attention. It worked. He finally kissed me in the jacuzzi. I thought I was on top of the world. Eventually, what I thought was cockiness morphed into plain jerkiness. I realized he was a true asshole. A good time boyfriend. When he tried to force himself on me at prom by literally ripping off my dress, I'd had enough. I was done. He didn't respect me. Game over.

Now I had a boy that respected and truly loved me. Someone who would be there for me in the good times and the bad. What a difference six months had made in my life. To be honest, I think I was just lucky, but at least I appreciated my good fortune.

My hope was that I'd never see Jake Wright again. I wished him well and I'd sincerely hoped he found a way to get his life back together. Unfortunately, I would see Jake the Snake one last time.