"Why are you so persistent on being involved in this case?" He asks softly and I immediately avert my eyes.

"You're going to think I'm stupid. I mean you already hate me anyways for following this case." I mumble as I shake my head.

"I don't hate you Elena." He runs a hand through his hair before tilting my chin up with his index finger. "Tell me...please."

I gulp harshly and it takes me a few seconds to decide on telling him. "I got offered a job in Canada but I need to wow the CEO with a news story. This is my story to get in."

His brows furrow as his eyes flicker with confusion. "That's the only way you get hired?"

"No, but I got fired remember? When this CEO called up my old one about me he certainly didn't get a stellar review. So, if I can present a story worthy enough of being a headline then there's no reason for him to refuse." I explain and bite my lip nervously as I wait for his reaction.

He's quiet for what feels like hours but it's only a few minutes. The door knocks and I frown in confusion before making my way over to it and opening it. The motel owner stands there with a dark brown envelope in her outstretched hand. I take it from her when I see my name printed on a white label.

"This arrived for you with the mail just a few minutes ago." She says before leaving to go back downstairs.

I close the door before looking down at the envelope again. Nobody knows my exact location, not even Hailey or my family, so who the hell sent me this? I wonder to myself. I glance up at Roman as I open it and he has his eyes narrowed in suspicion too. Taking out the folded piece of paper I open only for my eyes to widen when I see a batch of photographs...of me.

I flick through them and realize that they were all taken during my trips to crime scenes and places of interest in the murder cases. When Roman senses that something is wrong he steps up and takes them from me one by one as I go through them. The very last picture is of me standing at the side of a road in Louisiana yesterday evening near a crime scene. But in the distance behind me stands a man covered in black from head to toe. It's obvious from his choice of clothing that he's male. But his hood is up so his face is unidentifiable, his pale hands are clenched tightly and one of them holds a sharp dagger. My heart races in fear as I pass that one to Roman before reading the note.

Elena Moretti,

You've taken too much of an interest in my victims and me. I don't like it.

This is not a warning to convince you to drop your research on my case.

I want you.

You've pissed me off and now you'll die by my hands.

And after driving you insane I'll eventually slit your throat...after a little fun, of course.

You're just as pretty as my victims, too bad you turned out to be just as stupid as them.

I'll see you soon.

Love,

D.S.

I feel Roman stiffen beside me as he reads the note over my shoulder. He releases a furious growl of sorts as he snatches the paper from my trembling hands. His emerald eyes re-read the lines again and again until he sighs in frustration. They meet my warm browns and for a moment we stare at each other in silence.

"This is what I meant." He utters lowly and I nod mutely.

"Even if I stop now –"

"It doesn't matter to him. You're one of his next targets." He finishes my sentence in a hushed tone.