Sacrifice

I've always been drawn to the forest. Its soothing awakening during spring, the bold green of summer, the deeply scented autumn months and the peaceful quiet of winter. I rarely bring anyone with me, I prefer the quiet solitude. Today Andy said he wanted to come and I couldn't think of an excuse for him not to. "I want to see what's so special about the forest. You almost spend more time there than with me!" He laughs. I only smile a little. His laugh isn't very amused, I don't think he appreciates me taking those long walks.

"There's no service." I turn around and find him waving his phone around.
"Well, yeah. We're some ways away from just about everything."
Andy makes a disgruntled noise and shoves his phone back into the pocket of his parka. "Fucking ridiculous." I shake my head and start walking again. There's a beautiful clearing a few kilometers away and I'd like to see it and be home before dark. Autumn leaves are sprinkled across the thick moss covering the ground under the trees. The smell of mushrooms and slowly decaying vegetation fill my lungs and it feels as everything is right in the world.
"Like for real. This is what you do when you disappear for hours?" Andy's whiny voice makes a crack in my calm. "What's the fucking point?"
"The point is to get away." I don't bother stopping or turning around, I'll just want to punch him in the face. I don't know where this anger I feel comes from.
"Yeah. Well, I'm done. We're going back to the car."
I shake my head and keep going. "No." His hand forcefully grabs my elbow. "Ow! That hurts. Let me go!" I yank my arm, but he only tightens his grip.

"We. Are. Done." The words are spoken with a growl. I don't recognise him. My heart is beating wildly in my chest. Andy yanks my arm again, pulling me to him. I throw myself backwards and by some miracle he loses his grip.
"Olivia." There's no love in his voice. I've never seen him like this before. All that anger. He's moving towards me, face distorted.
"No! You leave me alone!" I shove him with all my might. Surprise flashes in his eyes. He stumbles backwards. Falls. There's a sickening crack as his head hits the ground.
"Andy? Andy, are you alright?" He's not moving. "Andy?" I go to him. His eyes are staring unblinkingly to the sky. I swallow a scream. I don't know what to do. Numb with shock I just look at his dead body. A wind shakes the trees, scattering leaves and making patches of sunlight dance.

I hear the whispers. They sound like the wind at first, but after a while I can make out words. They're coming closer. "Blood... sacrifice... man flesh... blood... blood... blood... sacrifice..." It's coming from every direction. I try to find an escape, but thick white fog has us surrounded. Its wet whiteness surrounds me, envelops me and I feel hands caressing my face. "Yes... yes... sacrifice... yes..." It glides down my throat, fills me with the taste of forest and ancient magic. I am not me anymore. I am more. I am a Hulder, as old as the oldest forest and never aging. The new vessel is now improved. A thick fox's tail follows my steps and my tongue can feel the sharp teeth, perfect for ripping into flesh. My tree is waiting for me. The Hulder tree has windows and a door, but you can't see them unless you have magic. There I sleep, until the forest whispers about fresh blood. The blood from the human male will sustain me through the winter months. If I'm lucky a hunter will cross my borders in February. Then I will feed on him too. But now I sleep.