Behind the Mask

AN: While reading keep in mind that all thoughts of characters are just that - thoughts. Nothing is fact unless proven!

Enjoy~

***

Naruto sighed as she put Junichiro-sama to bed after an exhausting day. Keeping up multiple facets of her personality was tough. And this time she was really stretching herself thin:

First, marrying Shinji, the cook who lived in her village and had wooed her for a long time till she'd finally agreed. It was a pity that she'd only done so because he had a job within the palace and she needed him to get an in. It would be quite heartbreaking for him when she would leave him – and she would, she knew.

Secondly, playing a spy for the group who wanted to stage a coup on the Daimyo. Not that she supported them one bit, no. But it was the easiest way to keep track of the darker side of things in case she wanted to counter them; which was why when they'd approached her to be an inside-eye, she'd agreed. She had no interest in the coup, in fact, it would be best for her if it did not happen. Which brought her to the third part.

Her brief dalliance with Shintaro, the Daimyo's second son – at first it had been in the hopes that he would provide a way to get closer to the Daimyo. She should have known better though, as that quickly fell apart. However, at the same time, he had been the one who'd asked her to come to the palace, worried about untoward happenings and helped her gain the trust of his father.

All this was only for one reason – Konoha. Or more specifically, to infiltrate Konoha. Naturally, there were plenty of ways to do that, but she was not known as a master of her craft for no reason at all. The security of a Hidden Village was nothing to be taken lightly. Add in the factor of nearly half the population being ninja's, while she was not...yes, it would be stupid to infiltrate it directly.

But, no matter what, she had to do it. Hence she chose this track – via the Fire Capital. If she was trusted by the Daimyo, if she could whisper into his ears softly, before carefully weaving threads that would never make him suspect her...it would be the perfect infiltration. However, what she'd not anticipated was Sasuke.

Her first memory of the shinobi had been when Junichiro-sama had been kidnapped, and back then Sasuke had appeared completely dismissive of her, nearly scorning her presence. She had ignored it. After all, as a civilian, she was a hindrance to the mission. She'd be equally distasteful if someone tried to interfere in her job as a spy.

But then he'd joined the Daimyo's guard. And things had changed. She had felt his chakra sporadically at first; in courtrooms, the gardens, during visits to the town-market. Then, suddenly, it had become a constant. He was always there. Always.

Had she slipped up somehow? Given something up? It couldn't be! She was careful, oh so very careful...how –? Why? Why would he take to following her around?

So, when the opportunity had come, during the Hokage's visit, she advised the Daimyo to place Sasuke as one of the guard's for Kaori-sama and her unborn child. He was skilled, she knew. She'd seen it back when Sasuke and his team had fought off those bandits who'd kidnapped Junichiro-sama. Having him far away from her part of the castle, busy with his new job, she'd thought – hoped – that he wouldn't have time to stalk her anymore.

Apparently not.

No matter what she was doing; playing with Junichiro-sama, laundering clothes, spending time with Shinji; he was there to keep an eye on her.

Then, she came to a conclusion – was he...did he... fancy her?

She got her looks from her mother and would never hesitate in saying that Uzumaki Kushina had been a beauty. It would not be the first time – after all, she'd had.... How many suitors now? A simple cook, a high-standing Nobleman's son, and plenty of nameless men who'd found her appealing. Attractive. Had craved her attention.