New Players

AN: [IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ]

First off, about the slow updates - I'm trying my best to write, but unfortunately, inspiration is slow in coming. When it does, I will do my best to update!

Also, I know many of you are slightly upset with the short chapters - believe me they're a challenge to write as well, considering it is not my usual style. This is specifically why I have chosen to do it - provide a challenge for myself - please respect that.

Finally, I'd like to say this - every chapter is important! There are plenty of plot points there, in each chapter! They all go through a very thorough editing to make sure it isn't full of pointless ramblings, so feel free to exercise you mind and come up with theories of where the fic is going!

Thanks for reading! Enjoy~

***

It had been quiet. A peaceful afternoon, idly passing by. Sasuke reveled these moments; all he had to do was silently keep watch over Kaori as she lounged in her private rooms. This particular day, the expecting mother had been browsing through a book, humming a soft tune under her breath, when she abruptly stilled.

Sasuke blinked at the complete cessation of her movements, wondering if she'd sensed something. A quick sweep of the area with his senses revealed nothing. He was about to pass it off as the woman's imagination –

"Hikari," The pregnant woman gasped suddenly, clutching at her stomach, "Hikari!"

'Oh no,' Sasuke glanced about, looking for Kaori's personal attendant – hadn't she just come by with a jug of water?

Kaori bit her lip, pulling in a scream just before it could escape, "Hikari!"

Sasuke cursed. How irresponsible! Where the hell was that maid? He watched silently as Kaori heaved, breathing heavily through her pain. He wavered, what should he do? His job was to remain still, silent and watchful. Nothing was ever planned for such a situation! Sasuke watched as panic splayed across the woman's face, lines around her mouth tightening as pain rippled through her body.

Kaori staggred to her feet, determined to get help if it would not come to her. Every couple of steps, she paused. The ninja watched carefully, as she made her way to the door.

Small steps.

Little steps.

Sasuke swallowed uneasily.

Her face contracted and she screamed.

"Argh! Hika-Hikari!"

Dammit! Sasuke was not equipped to deal with this. He was a shinobi, not a nurse! What was even going on? Was she going into labour? They'd prepared a signal for that, but he'd rather be sure before alerting the entire squad.

"Help!" Kaori moaned, "Someone, anyone...Hikari?"

Where the hell were the servants? But Sasuke didn't get to think any further. A sudden jolt and Kaori's hand went to her back, mind dizzy as the world spun. In an instant, without thinking twice, Sasuke flickered to her side, facing away from her as she automatically clutched at his shoulder for support. Her knees buckled and the raven gracefully knelt along with her, politely not looking as he tried to regain her breath.

Rapid footsteps sounded down the hallway. Sasuke repressed a wince at the grip Kaori kept on his shoulder, thankful that someone had finally heard. Kaori shouted once more and the door flung open.

"Kaori-sama!"

Sasuke's eyes widened. It was Naruto!

***