Chapter 21

" Mom " I whined.

" What is it Pony? " Mother's beautiful dark eyes sparkled with amusement as took in my flustered state.

Her maids were combing and braiding her long silky hair, and helping her with her elaborate jewellery. I went and sat next to her on the cushioned settee, hugging her sides.

" Why do I have to wear all that jewellery? It's uncomfortable. " I pouted, looking up at her.

" Because you are a young lady now, Pony, it is a ritual that the Princess after turning thirteen, has to wear the jewellery. " She tucked away the wild strand which was hanging on my cheek.

" But mom- "

" You will get used to it dear, don't forget that one day when you will become a Queen, you will have to wear much more. " She smiled at me lovingly.

" But you are the Queen, after you it will be Nick's Mate, " I looked at her quizzically when all of a sudden my eyes brightened as a thought passed through my head, " Do you think that my mate will be a King? " I asked her shyly.

She merely smiled and raised my chin, making me sit straight and kissed my forehead. Pulling back she looked directly in my eyes, " Maybe darling, your mate might be a King, but " She rose and stood behind me, taking the small tiara that I was supposed to wear, she placed it on my head, looking holding my gaze through the mirror,

" You don't need a King to be a Queen. "

I remembered how my mother told me that a Queen wasn't defined by her King or her crown, she was defined by here morals and strength. Remembering our conversation when I was supposed to bear the formal title of Princess Laskaris for the first time, made tears well in my eyes as I stared myself sitting in front of the dressing mirror, the same way my mother used to do.

Ella and Sofia were silently combing my hair and helping me with jewellery which were once worn by my mother and my sister. If I had known that being a Queen would cost me the lives of my loved ones I would never have wished to be one.

" We are done your Highness. " Both of them stepped back and bowed.

I dismissed them, walking to my bed where Raph was sleeping peacefully. On returning this morning, I had fed him my blood to give his body the energy to heal. He had woken up sometime later and hugged me wordlessly, his silence scared me. But I knew he was strong, just like his father and would get through. Caressing his head, I kissed his nose.

Standing up, I looked at the family portrait, staring at my brother with a sad smile.

" I am getting coronated Nick and I am scared. Scared that I won't ever be good enough, that I won't do justice to your rule. " My voice was barely audible by the end. Sniffing, I squared my shoulders, " It's time to complete the second part of the promise I made to your mate. " Stepping near it, I gently brushed my fingers along its frame, " I love you all and I need your blessings. "

" Their blessings will always be with you my dear. " I turned towards my father's voice.

He was walking towards me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders, he looked at the portrait, " They all love you dearly, and Nick and Victoria can never be more happy for their son because they know you love him like your own and they know you will be a great Queen. " Squeezing me, he stepped away, " It's time, guards will be stationed in the room with Raph, the maids will get him ready for the painting. I am waiting outside. " With that, he stepped out.

My eyes fell on my reflection on the mirror. I was wearing a simple high neck white silk gown with gold chained buttons on the chest, over it I was wearing a dark red velvet, floor trail cape jacket with gold patterns along its floor length cape sleeves. A gold belt with ruby work bound it to my waist. My hair were flowing in waves, a thick ruby and gold headband wrapped around my forehead. The family crest rings worn by the Queen in the middle fingers of both the hands and my head bare, waiting for the crown. My attire complemented the red eyes, which still hadn't changed to sapphire since I had arrived back home.