Chapter 23

Luke POV

We had just finished detention a short while ago, and myself, Remi and John were back at our place, because Remi wanted to talk about Rei. "So how did you know Rei?" She asks. "Well, strap in, it's a long story. First things first…"

*Backstory Time*

I was just wandering around town, doing my own thing, minding my own business, when I sense two powerful auras flaring nearby. Hurrying to the site, I decide to investigate after determining that neither of them are more powerful than me. When I arrive on the scene, I see the popular superhero X-Static on the ground, kneeling and breathing heavily, with someone standing over him. "Back off." I say, activating my ability, smothering the stranger's aura, cutting them off from their ability. "W-what? What did you do to me, you punk?" He asks, advancing on me. Before he can take a step, however, X-Static gets up and shocks him into unconsciousness. "Thanks for the help." He says, before erupting into a fit of coughing. "Take it easy, let me call you an ambulance." I say, taking out my phone. "No!" He says, causing another coughing fit. "Then what do you want me to do?" I ask. "Help me back to my place. My friend's a healer." He says. "Fine." I say, rolling my eyes as I help him up. About a half-hour later, we arrive at Wellston's dormitories, where we split up. "Thanks for helping me get here. My name's Rei, by the way." He says, taking off his mask. "Mine's Luke. And, no problem. I appreciate what you're doing out there." I say, walking off. 

Later on in the week, I run into the same situation: Rei down, bad guy standing over him. I help him out again. "Thanks. Again." He says. "You've gotta stop getting yourself into these situations." I respond. "Hey, I'm just trying to help." He says. "Can't help much if you get yourself killed, now can you?" I say in response. "Fair enough. You gonna help me back?" He asks. "Fine." I say, helping him. While we walk, I start getting ideas. Maybe I should go out as a superhero. I agree with them, I appreciate what they do, and I'm powerful enough to take on most people. Yeah, I think I will. Once I drop Rei off, I head to the mall, and start piecing together my outfit. I already have a black jacket, but I should probably get another one. I should also get some pants, a shirt, and a mask. I say to myself. Later that day, I walk out of the mall with a couple bags of clothes - a few of my superhero outfits. 

The next night is the first time I ever go out as a superhero. I had no target in mind, and just intended to patrol a few square blocks. Well, it just so happens that I sensed a familiar aura - along with a new one. What's he gotten himself into now? I ask myself, hurrying towards Rei. When I arrive, I see Volcan - significantly weaker than she is now - standing over a defeated Rei, preparing the killing blow. Just as she's about to let loose a torrent of fire, I activate my ability, and charge forward, drawing my daggers. She's very powerful. I need to be careful. I couldn't completely nullify her ability. I say to myself as I fend her off with my daggers. 

Before long, she realizes that she can't win, and hurries away. Turning back towards Rei, I notice that he's looking up at me with fear, and with his ability active. "Didn't I tell you to stop getting yourself into these kinds of situations?" I say grinning, pulling my mask away. "Thank God it's just you." He says, falling back and deactivating his ability. "Need a hand?" I ask, holding mine out to him. "Do you need to ask?" He jokes, taking it. "Where to?" I joke back, heading towards Wellston.

*End of Storytime*

"And that's how I met Rei." I conclude. "Really nice guy. Shame to see such a bright spark snuffed out by other's cruelty." I lament. Turning towards Remi, I notice that she's crying. "What's wrong?" I ask. "You two were such great friends. I only wish I had heard that story from him." She says in between sobs, and erupting into full on tears after. "Shhhhh… it's alright. It's okay. I'm here." I comfort. "Do you know how he died?" She asks after she calms down. "I guess, out of everyone, you deserve to know that." I say.

My POV
Hey! I decided to upload two episodes today to celebrate getting to 100 votes! A huge thanks to every one of you reading!