Chapter 6

John POV

Damn it! I yell inside my head. I lost my cool in there. I even activated my ability for a second! I mentally berate myself. There's only one thing to do now. I tell myself, texting Luke to meet on the roof.

Luke POV

I'm talking with Remi about ways to make the school safer for low tiers when I suddenly receive a text message from John.

"Meet me on the roof, ASAP"

I sigh, excusing myself from my discussion with Remi before hurrying to the roof. By the time I get there, John is already sitting down in his usual spot.

"Took you long enough." He says.

"At least I got here. What did you need to discuss?" I respond.

He sighs, saying "Isen took me aside today. He started asking all these questions about my past, and I lost my cool. I grabbed his collar, and told him off." He admits.

"That's not very good." I say.

"That's not the worst part." He responds. "I activated my ability for a second. I disabled it as soon as I realized it was up, but I know he saw something." He says.

So that's why you challenged me. I think angrily. To buy time for your spy. Don't think I won't get you for this, Arlo. I say to myself. John must have seen my anger, though.

"Relax, it's not like it's your fault. You told me it might not be a good idea to keep it hidden. At least, not from everyone." He admits. After a long moment of silence, he speaks up again.

"I've decided to tell Sera about my ability." He blurts out.

"You're going to tell her about your past!?" I respond, more loudly than intended.

"Yes. She deserves that much, at least. She deserves to know the truth. About everything." He responds.

"Good for you." I congratulate. "You're finally opening up to someone else. Your family will always be here for you, but having a friend you trust that much is just as important as family." I encourage.

"I hope you're right." He says. "I don't want her to leave." He says sadly.

"I'm sure she'll appreciate your honesty." I comfort him.

"I can only hope you're right." He repeats.