Chapter 15: Thanksgiving Gone Wrong

Chapter 15

"Can you be serious, please?" My dad said seriously, impatiently running his hands through his hair.

Michael and Justin stopped arm wrestling left handed, Wesley looked up from his phone, Mark stopped attempting to sit on James' head, and Alex let go of my hair.

All motion in the room came to a halt at the sound of my dad's distressed voice.

He'd called a family meeting this afternoon but we didn't think it was actually serious.

It was the day before Thanksgiving and everyone was home for the holidays.

"What? Is this for our schedules for the bathroom for tomorrow?" Mark laughed, glancing at me. "Because we all know Mar won't follow them anyways." He added, causing the rest of the guys to crack up.

"Don't be a brat!" I exclaimed, grabbing a pillow from the couch to launch at him.

"Whoa, chill." Alex laughed, quickly forcing my arm down. "That's enough."

I stuck my tongue out at him, but turned to face my dad.

My dad didn't even break a smile, he stared straight ahead.

He didn't even reprimand me. The serious look on his face sent shivers down my spine.

Was something seriously wrong?

"Is it Granny Nancy? I thought she was back home and everything was fine?" James asked nervously.

"No, Granny Nancy is just fine." My dad shook his head.

"Then what's going on?" Michael asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

My dad took a deep breath, using both of his hands to push his hair back.

I suddenly noticed the stress he'd been under. More lines had appeared on his forehead, his hairline was receding more than I remembered, and his temples had turned grey.

Seething was seriously wrong.

"As you know, the company has been expanding a lot recently." My dad said softly.

We all looked at him. He wasn't usually one to discuss his job with us.

"Did you lose your job?" Alex asked suddenly. "If you did, it's okay, we can manage."

"Yeah, seriously, I can switch to an in-state school." James added. "We'll all get jobs. We'll-"

"I still have a job." My dad replied. "Boys, just listen." He said impatiently.

We fell silent.

"And they need someone to run the branch in Cleveland." My dad added, leaning back against the table holding the TV.

The room got even quieter, if that was even possible.

Was he about to say what I think he was?

"Their last person fell through, and the branch opens a week from Thursday. They need me out there immediately." My dad said, his voice almost in a whisper.

There was no outburst of noise.

No outrage from the seven of us.

Just shocked silence.

I grabbed Alex's knee, feeling like the world was spinning.

We were moving?

"So for the time being, you're going to be staying with your mother." My dad said, closing his eyes as he braced himself for the impact.