Chapter 24 - Later

Start from the beginning

I begin a checklist in my head of anything I could possibly do right now before realising that I would normally just hang out with Poe on days like this. There's literally nothing to do.

Instead, I make my way towards HQ to see Mom and see if there's anything I can do there to waste my time. I smile and say hi to everyone I go past, feeling hyper aware of the possibility of Poe's presence.

"Hey Mom," I knock on the office door and smile at her.

However, she just stares at me, glaring a little. "What's wrong?" she says eventually.

"Nothing," I laugh nervously. "Just want to say hi."

"You're lying. Sit," she gestures to the seat across from her desk and locks the door behind me. I do as she says and suddenly I feel like I'm back in therapy appointments with the way we are set up. "Talk."

"I had a weird dream last night and Poe is treating me like a child because of it despite acting like a child himself," she nods a few times before clearing her throat.

"He told me you were wandering in the forest with no clue of what you were doing. Explain."

"He already came to you? What a little bitch," I seethe with a huff. She raises her brow expectantly and I continue with a sigh. "Yes, I must've sleepwalked and ended up in the forest but I don't see why it's such a big deal! These things have happened before, you know that."

"I do. Which is why i'll be putting a lock on your door that'll lock when you come in and only unlock when you put a code in," she scribbles something onto her notepad before looking back up at me. "What was your dream about?"

"Kylo," she seems to freeze for a second before bobbing her head slowly. Probably thinking 'not again'. "We were back in the forest on the StarKiller base, but he was winning."

"You're lucky that Poe found you-"

"I know."

"So why are you arguing and avoiding each other like ten year olds?"

I stop and think for a moment. We've argued before because what couple doesn't? But those times it's ended one of two ways: the "I'm sorry, I love you" and a hug, or... well, you know. Not that i'm complaining either way. But this is new territory, for both of us.

"Because ever since we got back from the mission, he's treated me like I'm made of glass and it makes me feel weak. And sure, I'm not in my best mental state now after... everything. But I need him there for me, and to not act like I could break at the tiniest off comment. Because I won't."

"You think he doesn't understand you? What you're going through? He might've been young but he's lost a parent too, let him in. As for the force and all your other so-called 'baggage': help him to understand," she puts down her pen and takes my hand in hers. "In a relationship, it isn't you against him. It is you and him against the issue. So try talking to Rey, clear your mind, and talk it through with him, ok?"

I nod and stand up, giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek before saying my goodbyes and exiting HQ to go to the training room in an attempt to find a quiet space to talk with Rey.

It isn't long before I've sat down and begin focusing on clearing my mind and making contact with her from across the galaxy. I feel the tingling that I felt when we initiated the connection going up and down my spine.

"Y/N?" her voice is echoed but definitely there. I put more energy into the connection and open my eyes and suddenly she's standing in the room.

"Rey!" I jump up and we hug each other, a smile gracing our previously stressed faces as we laugh together. "How are you? How's Luke? And my ship? And Chewie?"